How do I get back my Windows XP Administrator account?
Question by Tim /

I had a malware attack a few months ago. It breezed right by McAfee. I cleaned the system and the only thing I can’t do is access my Administrator account.

I have tried to access it with all of the ways Windows XP PRO has. All I get is a message that “A system error has occurred”. I can’t log in, change any properties, without getting that message.

• lilly

i dont no how but my administrator account has gone i dont have access to anything except internet,documents ext i have a guest account too that i would like to remove which i cannot as it has taken my administrator account,help?anyone,thank-you!

• Lisa

I made a password to my user account and tried to make some folders private. I turned off my computer and when I turned it on, the Administrator profile was gone. Do you know if I can get it back? And can I get back those files that were in Administrator profile?

Tim,

were you able to get your Administrator account back? Please let us know which solution worked or whether you need more help. Thank you!

Does this happen with any login or just the administrator login?
    If it applies to all my guess would be that some of the malware was located in critical system files which may have been damaged during the cleanup process with McAfee. In that case you could try to fix it via the recovery console. Bootup from your Windows XP CD and hit R at the “Welcome to Setup” screen. Everything else will be guided on screen.

Things to keep in mind:

(1) Any files that need to be replaced will be copied from the Windows CD, that means you may have to reinstall Updates or Service Packs after the recovery.

(2) Once your system was infected and cleaned it is still hard to say how far the infection spread and what what damage was caused before and during the cleanup. My personal advice usually is to backup your data and do a clean re-installation.