Why are my Windows Vista system restore points automatically deleted?

Delboy58 September 7, 2011

I am getting the same problem as Derald Hausmann who posted a thread here some months ago on my Windows Vista 32 bit laptop.

This only started recently and I have not made any changes to my system to account for it. I have a partitioned hard drive with a large amount of free pace on each – 110GB or more. Windows Vista always created restore points daily by default, a bit excessive maybe but that’s the set up.

Now my restore points seem to last a few days till I have two or three restore points saved then are suddenly deleted. I only noticed because my free disc space had gone up from 105GB to 110GB. Any ideas?

1. machiel

I just want to know does windows7 log when a restore point gets deleted and for what reason?

i did what mike said and filtered my current log in the evnt-viewer to "Event ID 8198" but No entries! While I created and deleted a restore point on purpose just before I checked the log. Other event ID's do show up (1894-1899)

2. Delboy58

These ar e my current settings, which look OK to me but it's not an area of my system I know too much about. If anybody thinks I should make adjustments here please advise.

Shadow Copy Storage association   For volume: (C:)\?Volume{d38569a1-1a82-11de-86e8-806e6f6e6963}   Shadow Copy Storage volume: (C:)\?Volume{d38569a1-1a82-11de-86e8-806e6f6e6963}   Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 511.813 MB   Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 1.367 GB   Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 21.613 GB

Looks fine to me... Unfortunately this is a common problem with unique causes and solutions per system.

I would start by looking into the Services found in Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools

"Volume Shadow Services" at manual or automatic
      "Task Scheduler" at automatic
      "Windows Backup" at manual or automatic

Then open Event Viewer (also in Administrative Tools) and go to "Windows Protocols > Application". 
      Look for errors regarding either "VSS" or "System Restore". 

Also take note about "System Restore" entries with 
      Event ID 8194 = Restore Point created successful
      Event ID 8198 = Restore Point deleted
      Event ID 8195 = System Restore deactivated
      Event ID 8196 = System Restore activated
      Within their details you shoud see the full path to the application that triggered the deletion (8198) or deactivation (8195).

This should give you a good start about troubleshooting the issue.

One last thing to keep in mind: System Restore relies on your system being idle. If your computer wasn't idle ever since the restore points went missing it didn't have time to create new one. To be safe you may want to create a Restore Point manually and then reboot your computer before looking into the issue.

3. Delboy58

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm not too tech miinded but I will have a look at the allocated restore space when I get home later. Seems odd this would suddenly happen. Will report back!

Microsoft support takes a long route using a 2-method process, requiring Win users to check for the COM+ Event System and to locate DGIVecp.

Method 1.
    Use the event text to determine the cause of the error condition
    To use the event text to determine the cause of the error condition:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type eventvwr.msc, and then click OK. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, ensure that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    2. In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs, and then click Application.
    3. To filter the events so that only events with a Source of VSS are shown, in the Actions pane, click Filter Current Log. On the Filter tab, in the Event sources drop-down list, select the checkbox for VSS. Select other options as appropriate, and then click OK.
    4. To sort the displayed events by date and time, in the center pane, click the Date and Time heading.
    5. Look for Event ID 22, and use the event text to identify the name of the application or service that caused the error condition.
    6. If the event was caused by the COM+ Event System, see the "Check that the COM+ Event System service is started" section.
    7. If the event was not caused by the COM+ Event System, see the "Use System Restore to create a manual restore point" section if your computer is running Windows 7.
    8. Check that the COM+ Event System service is started
    To check that the COM+ Event System service is started:
    1. Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
    2. In the results pane, double-click COM+ Event System.
    3. In Service status, make sure that the status is Started. If the status is not Started, click Start.
    4. Ensure that Startup type is set to Automatic.
    5. Click OK.

Method 2.
    For the second error we need to find DGIVecp.
    Try these steps:
    1. Go to StartRun and type devmgmt.msc
    2. Click on View and choose to Show Hidden Devices
    3. Now click the plus next to Non-Plug and Play Drivers
    4. Do you now see an items listed as DGIVecp? If not, we will have to see
    what this is associated with by going to the registry.
    Follow these steps:
    1. Got to start and type in regedit in the search box.
    2. Navigate to the following key.
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServices
    4. Look for an entry listed as DgiVecp.
    5. If you find this, then change the Start data value to 4.
    6.Reboot the system and see if the message is gone.

Fix Missing System Restore Points in Windows Vista and 7
    http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/fix-missing-system-restore-points-in-windows-vista-and-7/

~ what FIDELIS said ~

Other options are:
    - You, some installer or tweak/cleaning utility turned of System Restore or stopped the System Restore Service temporarily.

- You or some tweak/cleaning utility run the Cleanup agent in "advanced mode" with the setting to delete old restore points.

- You or some tweak changed the maximum restore point age to a very low value (default is 90 days).

- You ran out of disk space at some point. If your disk space is too low restore points are going to be deleted automatically.

Unlikely but still possible are other problems including incorrect system date, not fully compatible Antivirus or Firewall software.

As for troubleshooting I would manually cleanup all restore points at first (using the Windows Cleanup agent, within the advanced setting) and then just set the Disk Space for system Restore to 50% or more. As previously mentioned you don't have to worry about running out of Disk Space since older restore points will be deleted automatically if space is required.

Hello, have you checked how much space is allocated for restore points?  It might be setup with a small space that can be reached quickly.  When the space is reached, the system will delete restore points to make room for new ones.