Why can’t Windows Vista connect to the Internet via my new router?
Question by Jordan McLeod /

I recently upgraded from a Cisco DPC3825 Docsis 3 Gateway to a HitronTechnologies CGN2 Docsis 3 Gateway. The wireless on the Cisco was working perfectly. Now the Hitron is working fine (I have a Nintendo Wii, a tablet, and a smartphone all connected and accessing the Internet) but Vista cannot access the Internet even though it will connect to the router fine. I just get “Identifying…” and “Unidentified network” alternating, and it stays at Local Only.

So far I’ve tried restarting the router, my laptop, and the wireless adapter multiple times, reinstalling the wireless drivers, connecting to the router manually and through the wizard, setting up the network through Vista’s wizard, renewing my IP addresses, and resetting the TCP/IP. I have no idea where to begin next so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Jordyn Bushaw

Normally on Windows Vista and 7, when you connect to a network for the very first time it needs to know what type of network it is, these type are home network, work network, or public network. If it pops up a window prompting for what type of network you are connecting to, select home network.

• Shakil Ahmed

I went through this menace during last two days couldnt find anything absolutely anything on internet to solve this problem for me. I called my internet service company helpline, the guy told me to connect the laptop through ethernet cable and allow him to take control, he thereafter just changed the name of network to one with less alphabets, password or phrase to a short pin of numeric ones, wpa-personal to wep and everything started working :)

• Irshaad Abdool

incompatibility of the wireless network with your adapter.
    Change the network key type from the configuration panel of your router

• Jad Zeidan

Did your new router come with a CD? Try installing that on your PC and try connecting again, sometimes that works.

• GrrGrrr

Did u use the same SSID for the new router, as it was in the old one?
    if so, there might be an issue in connection. Go for a new SSID.
    You also mentioned “connecting to the router manually” how? Did u use an ethernet cable or still wireless?
    Also try deleting the existing network connection, and try configuring a new one.

• Anay Chaubal

start >> run >> type in “cmd” >> rt click on cmd.exe >> run as administrator
    then type in the following command:
    “netsh int ip reset reset.txt”
    press enter, then restart your computer while the wireless router is on, and you should be good to go, else, check the DHCP settings on your router’s configuration page, and set DHCP to on. mobile / tablet and other devices generally store the ip received from a modem, while windows might refresh its ip pool at every boot.

Are you able to connect to internet in Windows Safe Mode with Networking.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

check if the wireless network name is the same when it was on the previous router, if yes then change it. Network and Sharing Centre and then Manage Wireless Networks. Remove the network from the list, Then go back to Network and Sharing Centre and Connect To A Network…..

perhaps firewall blocking you.

Configuring Windows Vista to use local DNS server
    http://www.simpledns.com/kb.aspx?kbid=1188
    1. Control Panel, Network Connections
    2. Right click on Wireless Network Connection
    3. Disable IP v6
    http://www.home-network-help.com/disable-ipv6.html
    4. Double click on IP Version 4
    5. Choose “Use the following IP address”
    6. enter IP Address according to the router configuration.
    7. Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    8 Default gateway and Preffered DNS server have the same IP (router IP).
    8. let the alternate DNS server empty

“…even though it will connect to the router fine” I am having serious doubts about the phrase. Are you sure it is connecting to the router at all? Can the Vista talk to any other devices on the network (even ping them)? Most likely, it is assigning itself an APIPA (169.254.x.x) range address and not getting one from the router (DHCP server). You need to verify this to rule out the possibilitiy. If the machine is getting an address in this range, there is a problem with the machine connecting to a DHCP server for its addressing information.