Why does my Windows Vista computer hang-up in boot state?

Erwin Villar July 20, 2010

What are the causes and fix for a computer hanged-up in a boot state?

1. Frownydaclown

i have a similar problem where my computer hangs as soon as i turn it on. before anything else. no beep codes, flashing leds or anything.the screen isnt even on.i cannot access the bios or anything.it just stops. sometimes it will restart itself, but usually not. this only happens occasionally, and when it does it wont start for weeks. its an hp pavilion dv 6000 laptop with a pheonix bios chip, running vista and ubuntu.

• CaptHaywire

Remove and reseat your ram and any additional PCI or video cards. Make sure connections to your hard drive are secure. While in the case check for dust in the processor cooling fan and clean as necessary.

I suggest to ask this as a new question to make sure that everyone sees it.

Aibek

• Unkogeisha

OMG... i have the same laptop with the same problem! except i don't have ubuntu. please tell me u have found a solution to this problem!!!!!

The question is rather old. In case no one gets back to you here, post a new question and someone else may spot it and provide an answer. Good luck!

2. 413736603

Maybe your system was attracted by the virus.

This could either be due to faulty hardware drivers, or corrupt software. Also might happen because of virus, trojans and other malware. Try booting into safe mode by pressing F8 when before the Windows Vista screen comes up. Once there, try removing any software you may have installed.

4. Ryan Dube

Erwin - at what point in the boot process is it hanging, and have you recently installed any new hardware or software?

• Erwin Villar

The PC hangs up immediately after it comes on. The status bar displays booting progress on the monitor and it stops in the middle of the booting process. I can't even get to use the keyboard because it's not lit up. The latest software I downloaded was the trial version of G-force visualization for Windows Media Player. Any suggestions, please?

• Ryan Dube

Yes, sounds like a software or driver failure if it's stopping halfway through the status bar. Abhigyan's advice is sound - boot in safe mode and step through the boot process in the command-line mode...you'll be able to spot the point where it's crashing and that will reveal the driver or app that's failing.

This kind of boot failure really requires a process of elimination. Hope you can find the issue - good luck!