Why Windows Upadate on my Windows 8.1 PC keep reverting to “never check for updates”?

Avish K July 26, 2014

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 8.1 and have installed all the updates but something is changing my Windows update settings. Although I keep the settings to “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download them or install them”, they keep changing back to “Never check for updates”.
At first I thought it was just after a reboot but today it happened multiple times. I installed Winpatrol to see if I could see what was making this change but all I get is a warning saying a change has been detected. I have already done virus scan (I am using bit defender total security), also used MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware for scans but found no viruses or anything. I also used online scanners (ESET NOD32 and FSecure). Still nothing. I also did sfc/scannow still nothing. The change is random and sometimes happens and sometimes does not happen at all. I posted about this on eightforums and did everything but still the problem persists. I do not want to have to reinstall windows again and reinstall all my other programs. I appreciate all the help I can get, thank you.

Check all of your installed updates and make sure the following have all been installed: KB2919442, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2937592, KB2938439, and KB2934018. If any are missing, download the appropriate version for your system (32-bit/64-bit) and install them in the order listed.

• Avish K

Yes I do have all of the updates taht you mentioned installed.

First of all, you should try Microsoft's "fix it":
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

If that doesn't help, you could try running Microsoft Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645) to see which process is changing the registry just at the point the setting reverts to Never check for updates". There will be a lot of waiting and a fair amount of sleuthing to do, but it should help you to pinpoint the problem.

Microsoft fix it solution.exe does not work for windows 8 and 8.1!

• Oron J

My bad, Hovsep! The equivalent for Windows 8.1 is the Windows Update Troubleshoorter at
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-8 .

correct Oron this time is the right one:)

• Avish K

I do have process monitor and I tried to check if any of the processes changed the AUOptions (the windos update registry) located at (HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWIndowsCurrentVersionWindowsUpdateAuto Update) but there is nothing of this path in the process monitor so I am running out of ideas.

open Control Panel-Administrative tools-Click on services-Go down to Windows Update and right click on it then choose properties-In the properties window check the Startup Type and from the drop down menu select Manual if it is disabled. Click Apply and OK, reboot pc. See if this can help you.