Why can’t Windows Help and Support start?

suresh December 18, 2011

When I got to start and select “help and support” I received an error that says “Windows help and support can’t start. There is a problem with Windows Help and Support, to view our online help content, visit the Windows website.” Why is this happening?

Restoring to an old system restore point using Sysstem Restore may help in case of the previous suggestions does not work.

Start the Help and Support Center service and set it
    to Automatic. Follow these steps:

Click Start, Run and type services.msc

Double-click Help and Support

Set the Startup type to Automatic

Start the Service

• Steve Mencik

I have same problem. There is no "Help and Support" service to start, restart, or disable. This is for Windows Vista Home Premium x64. Help and Support has not worked since the day I bought this machine some 3+ years ago.

Does the same thing happen when you start in Safe Mode?

• Steve Mencik

Yes, it is the same in safe mode.

Try the suggestions here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/while-searching-for-help-and-support-i-get-the/8ad4b502-062a-4fe3-8790-9d4f51e0b38e

The associated subsystem is the same in Vista and 7, so one of them should work for you.

• Steve Mencik

Bruce, thanks for the suggestions, but I have already tried all those with no luck. Help and support doesn't work for a new user either. It has never worked on this computer. It is as if that part of Windows Vista was never installed, or HP messed up that part. Of course, I don't have full installation disks, as it has been a long, long time since manufacturers provided those to users, and I'm not about to bring my machine back to its original state with the restore disk.

if you are on windows xp go to this site
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    scroll down to 235
    Restore Help And Support Service, click on it, download the reg file and click on it to apply.

Hello, have you check if the service for help and support is running in your computer?  To do so, follow the next steps:

-- click on start
    -- click on run
    -- type the following:

services.msc

-- scroll down until you find the Help and Support service
    -- right click on it and select properties
    -- make sure that startup type is set to automatic
    -- under service status header, make sure to start up the service by clicking on the start button 
    -- Make also sure that Remote Procedure Call service is running by following the same instructions above
    -- once finished, click on apply and then on ok
    -- restart computer
    -- try help and support

Also, what version of XP are you running?  What service pack?  If you want to keep receiving help and support for windows XP, make sure that you are running Service Pack 3.  If you are running Service Pack 2 or lower, you will not receive any help and support.

• Eric

sir, I didn't find "Help and support" in my computer. What can I do?

scroll down to 235