What can I do if my Windows startup fails?

Analys November 21, 2011

I have problem to open my laptop. It came out with startup failed. I tried to restore the system, but it still failed. Can somebody help please?

1. nash

Hi, I accidentally unplug the computer immediately after use,then the next morning I turned the computer on I hit the start up with networking instead of the start up normally. I following your instruction to hit F8. last known configuration to start in safe mode..but still getting the blue screen with just a cursor showing....kindly please help me what to do next......thanks so much.....

2. analys

At first when I open it, it shows some blue screen and said that bad system configuration.. The blue screen happen to be just for about 2 seconds.. so I couldn't notice much.. as when it come to black screen.. there are only two options. 

1. Launch startup repair2. Start windows normally

I have try startup repair in which it should repair any error automatically but it couldn't. Then I go to advanced option and try to restore the system but it still pop up the same two option above.. I also try to use window cd(vista->7) but still no progress.. So what should I do? 

Ok, to stop your computer from restarting when you get a blue screen you could try the following:

-- start up computer
      -- press F8 as you did before
      -- on list that appears, look for disable automatic restart and click enter
      -- computer will restart
      -- if and when you get the blue screen, it will not restart anymore and it will give you the chance to record the error and most times a component or driver that it is causing it. 
      -- record the error exactly as it shows
      -- tell me what the error is

Keep in mind, that the error showing there it is not really specific....most times you have to do research online.  Was there a cd/dvd running in your drive when the tower fell?  Are you running vista or windows?  Did you try to see if computer would start ok in safemode?  What is the brand and model of your laptop? 

Usually, when you have a bad system configuration error showing is because the RAM is loose or incompatible with your system.  If computer was ok before it fell, I do not see your memory as being incompatible.  It might have gotten loose when it fell.  You can access the memory compartment easily in most laptops. 

There is a plate attached to bottom of laptop with two screws.  You can open it and make sure that RAM is snug to slots.  If you do this, check that the clips holding the RAM are not loose.  If ram is set ok in slots, you might want to try an leave one stick of memory installed and restart computer.  Take the ram that you already tried and install the other stick and try restarting your computer.  Also loose connections can cause this.  You could also try opening the hard drive compartment and check if it is all the way in to the connector.

Hello, when you post a question like this, do yourself a favor an post the error you are getting.  If you post the error, chances are we can give you suggestion about what to do,...if you don't, we are almost shooting in the dark.  Have you tried the Last Known configuration option in the Advance Menu?  To to so, keep pressing the F8 key when you are starting your system, if system starts up and it shows you a black screen with a bunch of options, select Last known configuration and press enter.  If that does nothing you could try starting in safemode from the same screen.  If computer restarts ok in safemode, chances are the problem is software related.  Did you install any software/hardware recently?  Start with thess two options and as I said before, make sure to record any error you get...make sure to tell us the exact wording in the error you are getting.

You could also check that your harddrive is recognized in BIOS.  To enter BIOS, press the delete, F2,etc.  This depends on the BIOS, there are several options.  Check to see if your hard drive is recognized in BIOS.  If it doesn't, that could be one of the reasons.

which version of windows you have? is there any error message?
    you can boot on windows cd and choose repair or upgrade if you choose upgrade then you will need to activate windows again. Is it OEM windows, do you have the serial?