Why does Windows resume when I try to hibernate and how can I always hibernate instead of shutting down Windows?

Suhel June 4, 2011

I’m not able to hibernate my laptop. As and when I hibernate, it automatically resumes. Earlier, I was able to hibernate, but now it just doesn’t happen. Also can I always hibernate as an alternate of shut down? Or is it necessary to shut down every once in a while?

1. karthi

whenever use and working laptops it wll be going to automatically hibranate what is reason how to solve this problem is there any hardware problem required

check the BIOS and Disable any Power saving options, perhaps a solution?

remove all batteries, wait a few minutes, and then replace the batteries

Sean,

thank you very much for sharing your solution!

3. Ashish

ha14 is a dumb.Hibrrnate never eats up your battery power.Data is stored in harddisk.Even you remove your battery,ac cord,the computer will always resume!

to follow up on your comment:

In general there is nothing wrong with hibernation. It is safe even if power outages occur because all data is written to the Hard Drive and it saves power because everything is shutdown.

The question is if the previous state of your computer is always the best choice? For example everything that is sitting in your RAM (usable and wasted) will be reloaded. 

It is also possible for some Hardware to not function properly because it may rely on some special initialization which would usually be run during normal bootup but not if waking up from hibernation. This is something you have to figure out yourself.

Hibernation is not able to automatically resume. It requires a power-on command like a normal shutdown (or actually S5/soft off). This could be a magic packet like it is send by Wake on LAN or maybe a power button on your keyboard, etc... 

If your laptop resumes magically I can only assume it wasn't in hibernation in the first place. It's either being in a sleep state (S1, S2, S3/standby/suspend) or maybe in the hybrid suspend where all data is written to the Hard Drive [for safety] yet the computer goes into standby/suspend rather than shutting down.

how do I stop that magic? its exACtly whats happening, I press Hibernate all lights go off and after few seconds Resuming windows and ouch it starts again :(

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT...

I went to the power options -> advanced -> disabled wake up timers.. and it did the trick I've no frigging idea what wake up timers are...

Magic Packets are a "special function" ~ they are usually not send by accident, rather by a tool or function from another device. 
        Turning it off is done within Device Manager. You have to right-click your Network Card, go to the Advanced tab and look for the option called "Wake-on-Lan" or "Wake on Magic Packet" and disable it."Wake up timers" can be all kind of things but in general they refer to planned tasks from Task Scheduler. For example on Windows 7 the automatic defragmentation is planned sometime after midnight (01:00am for me). If it wasn't run at that time (for example your computer was busy or shutdown) it will automatically retry to run it at as soon as your computer is idle. With hibernation enabled however there will be a collisions between the defragmentation schedule and the hibernation. So basically the "Wake up timers" enable and ensure Windows to run common maintenance tasks during idle periods which would usually trigger your computer to go into sleep or hibernation.

so I do not need to disable wake up timers? they are there for a reason?

there is some reason for everything ~ it's just not one of the things where you can give a definite answer...
          You can safely disable Wake up Timers to guarantee your computer stays in hibernation the trade-off being that certain tasks like defragmentation might not run regularly or as frequent as they should or are scheduled to be. Then again, if your Hard Drive is half empty and you don't copy and delete Gigabytes of data every other day you won't have much fragmentation anyway.Denying Windows to run certain tasks can have an impact on performance and stability or not make a difference at all. Another example where it really doesn't matter would be System Restore which by default is scheduled to run at every boot and everyday at midnight on Windows 7.
          I myself have never seen restore points that frequent. I would be surprised to see more than 2 restore points per week during normal usage.

wow thanks Mike you've been very helpful. cheers :)

• Vaanya Kathuria

Hi.. What finally  helped you to solve the problem? Disabling wake up timers or turning off magic pockets? I have the same problem, only that my laptop resumes itself after it has been in hibernation for about 2-3 hours. It is really frustrating at times.

To Enable Hibernate
    A) Open a Elevated Command Prompt.
    B) In the elevated
    command prompt, type powercfg -h on and press Enter.
    C) Close the elevated command prompt.To have the Computer Automatically Hibernate after Specified Minutes

A) Open your Power Plan Options to change the
    advanced power settings, then expand Sleep and Hibernate after
    B) Now set your Power Plan settings to the
    recommended settings for Hibernate to set the Setting (Minutes) to
    how many minutes you want your computer to be inactive before hibernating, then
    click on OK. 

To Only Change the Basic Power Plan Settings;
    If you have a computer with a battery (ex: notebook) or on a UPS, then you
    will see the right screenshot to adjust the options for when you are on
    battery or plugged in.

To Change the Advanced Power Plan Settings;
    Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable link.NOTE: You will need to be logged on to an administrator account for this option. This option allows
    you to change the power plan settings that are grayed out.to Change the Power Plan Settings in Windows 7Open the Start Menu, and type powercfg.cpl in the search box and press enterClick on the Change plan settings link to the right of the power plan
    that you want to change the settings for.

To configure power off button do the following steps.
    Opens the Windows XP Control Panel click Power Options. Click the Advanced tab.
    In the Power Buttons section, under "When I press the power button on my computer," select "Shut down", "Hibernate", or any other.
    Click Apply or OK button.
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click the Power Options icon, and then click the Hibernate tab.
    Click to select the Enable hibernate support check box (if it is not already selected)

how can I always hibernate instead of shutting down Windows??? am sorry I donno how this came up in the question... I know all those things. I was just asking was it safe to hibernate instead of shutdown? cuz shutdowning and starting takes a lot of time while hibernating and starting takes only few seconds.. also my major concern is whenever i hibernate the windows automatically resumes i.e. i cannot hibernate my lappy

Glad that was fixed for you

Computing
        hibernation is more like a nap. It recalls all open documents and applications,
        but shuts down power to the computer. all,
        hibernation isn’t a true shutdown of the PC – essentially, much like a
        lower-power version of “Sleep”, your PC enters a mode where it doesn’t erase the
        RAM, like it does when you shut it down. You
        skip having to wait for boot-up and the associated pains of every program
        loading.Again, the computer should look exactly as
        it did when you selected hibernate mode, but the computer takes longer to "wake
        up" from hibernate. the
        main issue with excessive hibernation is that the PC grows sluggish and
        non-responsive after a while.Shutdown your computer once of 10  Hibernations so that your system gets refreshed and work with normal capabilityselect
        Hibernate when you know you are going into the bag for a day or two, but select
        Sleep if I think I may return to the notebook within an hour or twoA
        full shut down is more like a full night's sleep.
        It powers off your computer completely. It's always the best option when you are not using your computer for a while.Full shutdown It
        is also the best bet for the computer's "health,"

Hibernation will eat more battery than full shut down.

I used the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows Vista, and now the hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature areunavailable

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897/en-us

thanks. I better shut it down and stop the risk of battery loss :)

cheers thanks

• Montgomery William Richard Spe

Hibernating, does a quick BULK save of the running system to DISK FROM RAM, then proceeds the shutdown, your computer then starts up the same as if you shutdown, until after the BIOS POST, then it finds the hiberfile.sys and loads it back into RAM.

Suhel, 

you didn't actually ask a question in the title, so I had to summarize your question for you and this is how I understood your question. :)

Oh.. I thought QUestion TItle is for life short and sweet description of question I didnt know I'd to post question for real in the TITLE itself hehe cheers thanks :D

Well, the title is all that is visible on the Answers front page, so it should summarize your problem as good as possible and obviously you have a question...