Why does Windows not recognize my GoFlex external hard drive?

m kumar July 19, 2011

GoFlex 500 GB external hard drive is already work in Mac, but does not show icon in Windows under My Computer.

1. Jack Haynes

I found out one reason why Windows didn't create a drive letter for my Seagate GoFlex External Drive. I had used my Seagate GoFlex drive on a Mac machine and decided I would use it on my Windows Vista machine. Windows didn't recognize Mac's Disk Format since it wasn't FAT or FAT32. To get it to be read as a drive letter, I had to go to Windows Disk Management. When I plugged the Seagat into the USB port, I noticed that it showed up as disk1. I then dropped the volumn and reformatted with FAT32. It now shows up as Drive F. The Seagate website mention being able to format the Seagate external with a disk format readable by both Mac and Windows Operating Systems. I didn't need this capability so I didn't pursue this. Advised though ... if you drop a volumn all your data is removed from the hard drive.

2. Ninja

It was working for me on windows 7 too, and then one day it wasnt.
    I got it to work by doing the following.
    GO to device manager, click on disk drivers, then right click on goflex and select uninstall.
    unplug the seagate for a minute, then plug it back in. allow windows to reinstall the driver.
    then it should pop back up in my computer.

Kumar,

did you try ha14's suggestion and did it work for you? Please let us know whether it worked or whether you need more help. Thank you!

• m kumar

it doesn't work, i had fallow your instruction,i tell you one things somebody suggest me to format hard disk but lot's of data in my hard disk,but it work only in mac system but in time i don't have mac system. 

go to My Computer, right click on it and then select 'Properties', then select the tab 'Hardware' and then click on 'Device Manager'. You will see a list of all peripherals that are attached to the computer, and if the external hard drive has a yellow symbol in front of it, it implies that there is something wrong with the device drivers. For resolving this first keep your internet connection live. Then uninstall the unkown device from Device Manager. Restart Windows and let Windows detect drivers via Automatic Update.

Windows can't read/write/see HFS+ formatting without third-party software.
    Try MacDrive
    http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/