What’s the best Windows podcasting software?

Justin Pot September 13, 2012

I’m a huge fan of podcasts but haven’t found a perfect program for downloading them. I currently use Juice and it does the job but isn’t perfect. Sometimes it crashes for no reason, it requires administrative rights to function and hasn’t really been maintained in years.

I want a program that runs in the background and downloads new episodes automatically. Ideally it could also add new episodes to a playlist file, so I can browse the most recent episodes easily in XBMC. Does anyone have a favorite program I could check out?

I’m not interested in Miro or iTunes; my ideal client would be lightweight and hands-off.

1. Justin Pot

Spent a long time working on this and ultimately settled with Miro. It's a lot cleaner and easier to use than I remember, and syncs my old phone without complaints. Check it out if you haven't, everyone.

• Kannon Y

I know you already picked a program, but Clementine Music Player just added podcast support and it is easily the best podcast program around. Or, at least, the best I've seen.

Instant Fundas did a teardown of some of its new features, but there's actually quite a bit more that it offers.

Aside from being simple and intuitive to use, it's also fast. Very fast.

• Justin Pot

I used to love the old-school Amarok, so I'll check this out for sure. Thanks!

2. Vijaynand Mishra

Media Monkey Gold Edition

3. Vijaynand Mishra

VLAN

I had a spare minute and can confirm, MediaMonkey pretty much does what you want it to. It allows you to subscribe to PodCasts and, if you so choose, you can download all subscribed Podcasts simultaneously.

Unfortunately the paid version is about $30, which is a bit too much for an app.

5. 573d1210d64cc82ed1979188e3b9622a

windows movie maker

• Justin Pot

You win the "person who didn't read the question past the headline" award. Congratulations!

6. Ahmed Khalil

following site provide good prodcasting software
    http://download.cnet.com/windows/podcasting-software/

Try MusicBee which also has portable version -

http://getmusicbee.com/

Hey Justin, I love your podcast, by the way!

Speaking of great podcasts, Cameron of Android Police actually wrote a very good article on this subject. He also spoke somewhat about the subject on his Podcast, AndroidPolice.

Anyway, apparently Greader has an excellent auto-download to your mobile device feature. I have used it, but didn't like the way it handled folders, although clearly recognize it's one of the better apps for RSS and podcasts.

You may want to Bluestacks it, just to try it out. It's available in all major marketplaces. And it's the third party Greader, not the first party Greader. Yes, there's two apps with the exact same name in the same market.

• Justin Pot

Interesting, but I'm looking for something for my Windows computer (which I use as a media center).

• Kannon Y

Bluestacks can run Greader in Windows, however, if I remember correctly, you're running an EEE PC and it may not run Bluestacks very smoothly.

Greader also might not run very well in an emulator.

There's three other options that I'd like to suggest. First, MediaMonkey is probably what you're looking since it automatically downloads podcasts and handles playlists. It's probably the best regarded out of all the players.

I'm not sure why I didn't suggest this earlier, but DoubleTwist Player for PC reportedly has a podcast feature - they refer to it as the iTunes for PC but I believe it requires a paid Android app for it to function as such. I don't use it in the slightest as Google Reader's folder feature IMO is a more elegant and simplistic method of managing my podcasts on the desktop (and across all platforms).

I was also going to suggest using XBMC. There's a autopodcast downloader (of unknown quality - I've never used it) in the add ons for music section. Perhaps it's worth giving a try?

:-) Why would you apologize for Dave? He's a crucial element of your show!

• Justin Pot

The software will run on my beefy media center, not my EEE, but I'd still rather it not take up a lot of space. DoubleTwist is an interesting idea; I'll try it next.

I've never found anything for XBMC that does this, and man – have I looked. You can stream podcasts easily, but not automatically download them – at least in my experience. I'd love to be wrong about that.

• Justin Pot

Also, thanks for listening to Technophilia! Sorry about Dave.

9. Tug Ricks

I was just wondering the same thing this very afternoon.