Why does my Windows PC restart itself when I open Documents or Control Panel?

hector November 29, 2011

My computer reboots every time I go to Documents or Control Panel. When I click these, it says Windows is restarting itself. What’s wrong?

you can have file association problems, corruption of windows special folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

Hello, I would try the following provided you have an installation disk just in case it asks for it or, you could run this without and installation disk

-- click on start
    -- click on run (type in search bar if you are in windows 7/vista)
    -- type cmd, then right click on cmd and select run as administrator
    -- once cmd opens, type the following:

sfc /scannow       make sure to leave a space between c and /

-- let the scan take place, it could take a while...
    -- sometimes if it needs to replace a file, it will ask you for installation disk

This command will check the files in your current installation with the files in the disk.  If there is a file corrupted or missing, it will install it or replace it.

Also, it would be adviced to disable the automatic restart option when windows fails, that way system will give you a blue screen with an error you can troubleshoot.  To do this, follow next steps:

-- restart computer and keep pressing F8
    -- once advanced screen shows up, highlight disable automatic restart and press enter

or,

-- click on start icon and Pause/break at same time
    -- select advanced system settings
    -- click on settings under startup and recovery
    -- uncheck automatic restart under system failure
    -- click on ok

When you do this, if computer restarts, it will give you a blue screen with an error.  Make sure to record that error and post it or research it.

You can also check the event viewer to check for errors that show there, specially under system:

-- click on start icon
    -- click on run (type eventvwr.msc if in windows 7/vista)
    -- click on windows logs
    -- check for errors under system, setup, etc.
    -- if errors are recorded there, make sure to check the error codes or post them here.

Most times this problems are related to explorer.exe file or a corrupted .cpl in control panel.  To find out if there is an issue with a .cpl in control panel, you could try the following:

-- navigate to following folder %windir%System32
    -- on search bar, type the following *.cpl
    -- when you get all the .cpl results
    -- double click on each item and check which one is causing the explorer crash.  If when you double click on any item, your system gets a blue screen, that is your culprit.-- if the item failing is for a third party utility/software, you can uninstall it.  If it is a windows item, the first procedure above should help.  If that doesn't help you could try the following software in a portable version:

Re-enable:

http://www.tangosoft.co.uk/downloads.html

Try to donwload the portable version.  Once downloaded, click on the .exe file. 

-- once software opens, click on the check/uncheck all
    -- select control panel
    -- click on re-enable

try this :
    right click on my computer > properties>click on advanced.
    from start up % recovery > settings >
    uncheck auto restart.
    click ok.
    check the image from my desktop.