Are there any more Windows Movie Maker export formats?

Osama June 29, 2010

Is there a method by which I can increase the formats in which I can export my videos from movie maker (Windows XP)?

The given formats are either too bad-quality/small-size or normal-quality/huge-size in combinations. I want to have one with good-quality/normal- size (like avi). Tell me if there’s a method to do it because the already given wmv formats give out files of 100s of MBs.

1. Steve Campbell

When I use Movie Maker, sometimes the app freezes or creates a choppy video if I try to make it convert faster. What I usually do is author the video as an .avi, which can sometimes be pretty huge (like over 1Gb), but there are programs out there that shrink .avi's which are much better at it than Movie Maker. That's what I'd recommend you do so you end up with the kind of video quality you want.

2. pceasies

You can Select:
    Computer >
    Show More Formats...
    DV-AVI from the drop down

That should give you a fairly decent movie. If the quality is acceptable you can always convert using a codec like Xvid, DivX, or h.264. Assuming you find a good guide describing good settings you will be able to get a small size without losing much quality.

3. Taty

Hi Osama
    My suggestion is that you convert it into avi and then use a converter from there. Some of the web export options can be adjusted to get higher quality but smaller files. If you haven't yet, you should check that out. It all has to do with the length of the video you are starting or with.

4. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

Not integrated anyway, but you could save it as WMV and the convert it with Any video converter (http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/) and thendelete your original- just make sure the conversion worked before you get rid of the WMV

• andrew

the only problem is that once its wmv, converting it to a higher video quality standard, such as .mp4, etc. will result in a low-quality video anyway...

• Jessica Cam W.

Any Video Converter is a good one. Check out MakeUseOf's review on it and 4 more easy-to-use converters.