How can I make Windows Media Player open in library view?

John May 19, 2011

Windows Media Player always opens in ‘now playing’. How do I get it to always open in library view?

1. Suff2Say

I'm having this problem with WMP 11 in Windows Vista. A number of sites say that in Vista WMP automatically opens in Library view and it's ticking them off because they want it to open in Now Playing view! I wish I had their problem because mine defaults to Now Playing view and I want it to open in Library view, so I tried this fix and I'm getting the result John originally had where it stays open in Library view for half a second and then forces itself back into Now Playing view.

I only have one Program Files directory, I've created the shortcut, edited the target path, trying out " /Task Library" and " /Task MediaLibrary" but always the same result.

On one of these other sites someone suggested to those whose WMP forces itself to Library to create the shortcut in exactly the same way but to edit the target path by adding:

" /prefetch:1 /Task NowPlaying"

so I tried this as well, substituting NowPlaying with either Library or MediaLibrary. Same result. I even tried changing NowPlaying to Rip and Burn and Sync. It still forces itself to NowPlaying after half a second opening in the view I tell it to!

My wife and daughter think I am crazy for caring. Blame my OCD! Please help...

You know what will happen don't you? Microsoft will come out with a new media player, give it a different name a different interface but they'll include the option to open it in whatever view you want and they'll charge $200 for it! Or they'll offer a plugin and fancy it up then charge $50 for that! It's like what they're doing with the MultiMouse concept. They're talking it up as being such a huge advancement in technology like they think we're stupid. They know how to give us multi-user capabilities, but what they've done instead, is designed a line of products, making you buy separate programs that each have the ability to use two mice and two keyboards each with their own dedicated cursor points within the 'program only'. This means you can have two users inside the program, but only one outside of that program with everything else. They are selling these programs separately when it would be just as easy, if not easier, to design the operating system so that you can have multiple users in Windows and whatever programs you like. It's a joke! It's like tricking the world into believing that cars can't be run by water to keep the oil industry going. Other companies are selling a single software package that allows multiple users across the system but are limiting the packages by the number of multiple users the program supports so they can take the same basic principle but restrict your use of it so that they can sell more expensive packages when really everyone is paying for the same basic technology.

Let me ask a question. When you buy a shovel at the hardware store, do you have to purchase 10 licences with it so that ten other people can use it at different times throughout its useful life? Do you have to buy a separate licence to use it at your cousin's new house as well as your own? Grrrrrrrumble, grumble, grumble.....here's another one for you.....sell a product, put a piece of sticky tape over the opening on the box, call it a security seal or anti-tampering device and hey presto, you'll never have to deal with sales returns! Grrrrrrrrrumble grumble grumble.....

So anyways, I've had my rant, thank you!

To be honest, I didn't read the entire rant. But if there is still a question in there that you would like to have an answer for, please submit a new question. Click the Ask a Question button in the top left here: http://www.makeuseof.com/answers

2. John

Thank you Fidelis!!
    I had just about given up.  Now success. Thanks a million
                                                            John

John,

what did the trick, please let us know which method worked for you!

he renamed the shortcut in the Program Files folder, earlier he used to do renaming of the shortcut from the Program Files (x86) folder ^^.

John,

were you able to follow Fidelis' instructions and does WMP open in library view now? Please let us know whether or not it worked for you. Thank you!

• John

Thus far, no luck.
      Maybe not following directions correctly, but
       "C:Program Files (x86)Windows Media Playerwmplayer.exe" /TaskLibrary
      or Task MediaLibrary doesn' seem to change anything. 
      Open for suggestions
                                             John

Hello, I have a computer running windows 7 64.  I tried this method in both versions.  It is working when I go to the Program Files (not x86) in 64 bits and following the steps I gave you.  Give it a try.

• T Gill

Take out the (x86) and put a space between Task and Library. Worked for me.

Hello, what version are you using?   Older versions of wmp were able to remember the last view you used and open on that view.  On the most recent version it does not happen.  You could open wmp on library view by doing the following:

-- go to Program Files folder and find the wmp folder
    -- find the wmp.exe file and select create a shortcut
    -- copy the shortcut to your desktop
    -- once shortcut is on desktop, highlight and right click on your wmp shortcut
    -- select properties
    -- select the shortcut button on menu
    -- on the target box, add the following to the end of the target path:

/Task Library   

after addin the entry, it should look something like this:

"C:Program FilesWindows Media Playerwmplayer.exe" /Task Library

-- click on apply and then ok
    -- close wmp player and then open it again
    -- it should open on Library

• John

I am runnung win 7 64 bit with wmp 12
      I tried your fix with no results.
      wmp opens in library mode, but immediately reverts to mow playing
      Each time I have to click on the library to have it show contents.
      Thanks for the help.
                                                     John

Hello John, ok this should work.  Follow the same procedure as before just that this time add the following to the path:

/Task MediaLibrary

• John

Tried that with same results.
          I have a lot to learn about pcs, so maybe I need step by step to follow for better results. Thanks.
                                    John