Windows Media Player 11: Cannot Play This File

bob dunford February 17, 2010

When I try to download some video files and play them on my Windows Media Player it comes up with a error something that goes ‘cannot play this file either wrong type of file or wrong codecs’.

Have you seen this error? Is there a Windows Software which would help me with this problem?

1. Penfoldwalsh

O.k the 1st part of a movie I downloaded has the codec H264-MPEG-4 ACV (PART 10) (acv1) the other parts all say codec (undf) how do I merge the files while passing on the codec in the 1st file... Any suggestions helpful :):):)

2. bob.dunford

is it possible to have software which would allow me to burn down files from my VLC.media player to my cd/dvd disc.as the Vlc media player is very good but i cant burn down any files from it.from bbdunford@gmail.com

Bob,

to post this as a new question, which is what Aibek suggested above, please click the "Ask a Question" button in the top right of MakeUseOf Answers. A form will load to the left. Fill in the details, ask your question and wait for it to be published.

3. bob.dunford

IS THEIR A SOFTWARE WHICH WOULD ALLOW YOU TO BURN FILES FROM VLC MEDIA PLAYER TO CD/DVD.

Hey Bob,

I suggest you post this as a new question.

Aibek

4. ew

you could you additionally install the standard version of the k-lite coded pack on your computer:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm
    this should enable your Windows media player to play all movie files.

or just download the video Lan (VLC) player, it also plays all sorts of movie files

5. Guest

Please list the file extension of the file you are trying to play. Also did you download this file from a trusted site? A lot of videos out there are infected with viruses.