What is the best way to get Windows Media Center play content on my two TVs and other PCs in the house?

Suzanne November 13, 2011

I have Windows Media Center on a PC and would like to be able to view it on my two TVs and other PCs in the house. We are networked. We do not want to buy an Xbox, and the options out there are confusing. Any suggestions?

Hello, if all your computers are running windows 7, just make sure to join them all to the homegroup.  Set the homegroup in one computer and do the following:

-- start
    -- control panel
    -- network and Internet
    -- homegroup
    -- click on create a homegroup
    -- select what you want to share
    -- make sure to save the password somewhere you can find it, you will need it
    -- once this is setup, join all the computers to the homegroup by using the password
    -- once that is done,
    -- follow the same steps to reach homegroup page
    -- make sure to checkmark the stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my home network

Once that is finish, you can check your sharing settings by doing the following:

-- navigate to homegroup page like you did before
    -- click on changed advance sharing settings
    -- if you have any problems you can change with advance sharing settings or you can use the troubleshooter on same page.

Now that all the computers are set, you just have to do the following: 

-- click on start
    -- click on network
    -- under media devices, you will see the computers belonging to the homegroup
    -- you can share the contents between them or stream

With regards to the TVs, you could connect the sony network media player.  As long as it is configured as a media server and it belongs to your network, it should show on the same network tab too.  With regards to the rokus, you can only use them with the channels on the following link:

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

Hello, what are the operating systems of all the computers connected to the network?  Are the TVs networked too?

• Sznlyon

All PC's use W7, TV's are not networked but are connected to Rokus which do show up on the network but I don't think I can use them for anything other than Roku channels. I have been trying Chaneru but it is a pain in the A**. And my husband just brought home a Sony network media player-N100 tonight (still in the box)