Why does my Windows laptop restart automatically when I shut it down?

suhel June 29, 2011

My laptop has gone insane. It automatically restarts when I shut it down. Any ideas?

I’m able to shut it down by pressing the power key, but still it’s not cool to have your laptop behaving awkwardly from out of the blue.

1. Vishalbansal

Even I am having same problem in my laptop HP DV 2025 TU with Windows XP SP3 , and I tried all the above but still my laptop start automatically as soon as power plugged on, please help

It might be worth asking a new question.

• Abdullah Al Mamun

let ur laptop's battery empty

to reset laptop cmos battery
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg_wvp1YdSI

Load-Safe Defaults can be reached from The Bios
    http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer's-BIOS

ok.. as soon as I reach home from work I may try it///

it looks risky though lol

you can try also Refresh PC
        http://www.xp-smoker.com/refreshpc.html
        http://www.xp-smoker.com/downloads/refreshpcinstall.exe

RefreshPC will do the following:
        ---Reduce errors in the Event Viewer
        ---Fix service misconfigurations that may be causing problems including slow boots.
        ---Clean your temporary folders.
        ---Reset key registry entries back to their default values.

I don't know how or why, but last thing I did was to install this thingy you gave me and I ran it and than I just tried to shut down my laptop and it worked... I donno if it was a one time show.. let me try it again... if it works again than I'll post again :)

OMG it worked... THANKS MAN....

some back history which I guess was the problem...

I'd hibernated once my laptop, than upon resuming I closed the LID and the lappy got hanged so pressed the power key and it got shutted down, after than I'd this problem maybe it was because the registry key of shut down was somehow clashing with hibernation????

anyways thanks man.. I'd searched the whole internet and I didnt find the solution,,, you DESERVE this week's BEST ANSWER

Glad that worked for you, thanks for confirming.

Thanks for the feedback, Suhel and glad you could fix the issue!

• JoeyDee

"some back history which I guess was the problem..."

Would that not have been pertinent to include in your original post instead of "My laptop has gone insane"

Help us help YOU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGt5f70K02Q

you're funny lol.....
          :p

Good call on this one.  I haven't seen this program before, but it looks like what I would have suggested he do manually since the description of his problem indicated that something was crashing during the shutdown process (thus the computer restarted after the error making it look like a regular reboot).

• JoeyDee

HUH?? XP Smoker?

it is possible that your cmd.exe is corrupted so you have to repalce it with a fresh one from a friends pc.

Download and burn Ultimate boot cd
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

1.In the UBCD4Win interface, goto Start > Programs > Registry Tools > Registry RestoreWizard.
    2..The program will then ask you which Windows registry you want to repair. In most cases, it’ll be C:Windows. Choose the copy of Windows you want to repair and press Next.
    3. Choose “Fix the system registry to that of a previous state” and Press Next.
    4. You should now see a list registry restore points. Choose one with a date a few days before the issue first occured.7. Wait a few seconds for it to restore the registry. Press Finish and restart the computer.

unfortunately am well aware of the common diagnostics and I've already tried all the usual stuffs :)

have you tried to flash bios and reset cmos, other then that your mbr can be corrupted.

You can drain the battery and leave it like that for one day without using laptop and charge it again.

ok thats new.. flashing bios? and by resetting cmos do you mean the LOAD-SAFE DEFAULTS??? have tried the draining thing, dint work...

try to restore windows to an earlier state where you didnt had that problem.
    reboot with windows cd and choose repair function.

by pressing F8 when your computer boots and then going into the Advanced Boot Options. Make sure to select Disable automatic restart on system failure and press Enter

go tu run then type cmd and click enter then type:
    shutdown -s -t 5 (which mean this shutdown -s -t time_in_seconds)

or to choose other options then type this
    C:WindowsSystem32Shutdown.exe

didnt try the repair function as for now I dont have the cd, for other options neither of them work

5. Naveenksid

i agree with the last post if there r any updates remaining,and this could be found out,when go to start menu then look at the stut down option there will be a exlamatory mark on tat,this would be a signal tat there r some remaining updates.

6. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

When you use that method do you see a yellow/orange shield beside the word Shut down? If you do that means that there are pending updates to be installed, check your Windows Updates and make sure you have your OS up to date.

Also right click on the start button for the Start Menu and select properties, go to the second tab called Start Menu and make sure the drop down says "Shut down".

On your control panel check the options for the computer behavior when you close the screen lid, it might be set up for restart.

Hope it helps.

nope I know about that.. that was my first conclusion but it was not that problem

@TinaMUO:disqus yes I do use that route. its windws7 home premium. as soon as the laptop shuts down and all lights get off it restarts again.

Suhel,

which version of Windows is this? How do you shut the laptop down when the restart happens? Do you use the > Start > Shut down route or another way?