Why does Windows freeze when I try to attach a photo to an email?

Doug Troupe December 4, 2011

I noticed that my Windows Vista laptop freezes whenever I try to attach a photo to an email.

It also froze when my photos were the screensaver. Then any screen saver froze. So I disabled my screensaver.

Coincidentally, and almost simultaneously, my backup D drive indicates that it hasn’t been backed up and instructs me to empty my Recycle Bin. I do with no effect.

I’d love to be able to correct the problem myself, but cannot find helpful information. Can anyone offer any appreciated assistance?

Hello, I have a question with regards to your backup malfunctioning.  Does it give you an error with regards to shadow copies?  Can you do the following for me and give me the results?  If you could post a capture screen would be better.  Take the capture screen an attache it with your answer by clicking on image.  By the way, what version of vista do you have?

-- log in to vista with administrator account
    -- click on windows key
    -- type diskmgmt.msc in search box and click enter
    -- when disk management utility opens, click on System Reserved partition
    -- right click on it and select properties
    -- the default size for this hidden partition is 100 MBs.
    -- How much free space does it show?

Usually, if the used space on this hidden partition passes the 50% mark, you will start having trouble making backups.  Do you use the vista backup utility or something else?What is your default photo viewer?  you could try running the sfc command.  This command will check for corrupted files in your system with the default files installed with windows.  You might need an installation disk.

-- click on start
    -- type cmd
    -- highlight entry and right click, select run as administrator
    -- type the following in command prompt:
    sfc /scannow

-- let scan run completely

Sometimes if the sfc command finds a corrupted or missing file, it will ask you for the installation media.....The problem you are having with pictures could be due to corruption with the shell command.

reset internet explorer settings
    go to run and type the following
    inetcpl.cpl
    hit enter and will open internet properties windows
    go to advanced and click on reset

you can try this microsoft fixithttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737it will reset all settings remove plugins..but will leave bookmarks

Does it happen when the browse file diloag opens ?
    or hwne you open a particular folder from the dialog ?
    or when you select the image file to be uploaded ?

one possible simple solution can be :

use gmail.
    just drag n drop the picture file instead of opening and navigating to the image files.

it will help if you were previously doing it using browse file option,
    and browser freezes just because of opening a folder from the open file dialog.