Why is my Windows Explorer freezing a lot?

Vibin Reddy April 4, 2011

Windows Explorer is getting stuck terribly, especially the My Computer page. It’s taking more than 1 minute to load, so instead of waiting for it to load I started using the drive codes, but still it’s taking lots of time. I’m running Windows XP SP2.

1. Vibin

Its too hard to know which registry entry was corrupted, because the registry cleaner(software) pointed out more than 500 corrupted registry entries. Just if you wanna know about the software... it's Eusing registry cleaner(free)

2. Vibin

Finally I got rid of that! It was just a registry problem... Used a Regitry cleaner to cure it! thanks for the help!

Registry cleaners rarely have significant effects, glad to hear it worked for you! Do you happen to know which registry entry was the culprit and if you do, could you please share it? Thank you!

3. Vibin

Ok, I have scanned using MBAM, found six virus infected files( here's a pic http://imgur.com/2yrFX ) .. I quarantined them but still the same problem exists... Also scanned my system using Avast! ... Looks like some of the files of "Windows folder" are being infected... so I can't delete them, maybe they are responsible for this type of behaviour.

Hello, as advised before, make sure to scan your computer for malware. Run full scans with you antivirus and also with malwarebytes and superantispyware. You might also want to try the following, maybe it helps solve your problem:

-- click on start
    -- click on Accessories
    -- select Windows Explorer
    -- on menu, select Tools
    -- click on folder options
    -- select the View tab
    -- find and check mark; launch folder windows in a separate process

5. Vibin

@Ha14 Yeah, I use that trick (killing explorer.exe process) but still its just a temporary fix. Will check for malware using MBAM.

@Tina It has been 2 years since I installed XP on my laptop. I will be installing Windows 7 sp1 in the next one or two months, I'm waiting for my hard disk to be repaired. BTW I read that guide (Windows on speed) already, that was very well written.

Some malwares can do this, try to clean your pc with ClamWin, malwarebytes antimalware.

Some other soft can do this also like Diivx, so you should figure out when started those problems and to uninstal the culprit soft.

*HOW TO REPAIR THE WINDOWS EXPLORER BUG ASSOCIATED
    1. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DELETE

2. OPEN THE TASK MANAGER

3. CLICK ON PROCESSES TAB

4. END ‘EXPLORER.EXE’

5.CLICK ON APPLICATIONS TAB

6. CLICK ‘NEW TASK’

7. TYPE ’EXPLORER.EXE"

The Problem should now be solved. Sometimes it is a permanent fix.

you can try also
    Zeb-Restore 1.0.0.37
    http://telechargement.zebulon.fr/zeb-restore.html

Vibin,

If you don't do so regularly, perform a backup of your personal data now while the system still boots.

For how long have you been running this installation of Windows XP?

The easiest way to fix a system that seems to have serious issues is to reinstall the entire operating system. Generally, Windows XP needs a re-installation every 1-2 years, depending on how heavily you use it. I use my computer daily, install and uninstall tons of programs, I'm online a lot, but I don't visit high risk websites (malware). The best so far was an installation that lasted 2.5 years with regular maintenance.

There are many potential reasons for Windows or the Explorer being unresponsive. Please check out this guide for a thorough self-examination: Windows on Speed

After fixing your issue, I recommend that you upgrade to SP3!