Why is my Windows desktop computer no longer working after stored for a few months?

Tony Bennett August 5, 2012

I bought a laptop and stopped using my desktop. So I stored it in my closet. When I put it away, it worked just fine. About 3 months later I decided to use it again. Well, I hooked it up, turned it on and nothing happened. It went from working fine to not working at all for no apparent reason.

I didn’t drop it or store it in 120 degree heat, nothing like that. It’s not the screen, I’m not getting power to the PC. It is a: Windows 2000 Professional. HP Compaq, running windows XP. Can you help me, please?

1. Timothy Liem

switch to Ubuntu, then

2. Jason Williams

possibly blown capacitors on the motherboard, check for any capacitor that look bubbled or leaking a brownish substance.

Other than the suggestions listed by others,if you are comfortable in opening your cabinet case,then watch for the capacitors that are leaking i.e. have brown coloured leakage on them.Did you cleaned your desktop using vacuum cleaner ? It's not recommended to do so as it disturbs the charge stored in the capacitors of the motherboard.

4. Jonas Nordgren

check the fans, clean eveyrthing out, pray to bill gates for forgiveness XD

5. Dalsan

If you are not seeing any leds light up or hear any fans running, the power supply may be faulty, or the wiring inside your computer could be loose. Check all wiring and reseat them and try to turn it on again. If still nothing, you would need to try another power supply or take it to a shop for testing.

if you can enter Bios then check the boot order to be on the hard drive containig windows.

remove the battery, unplug from the wall, hold on button for 20sec, plug it to the wall and try to restart windows.

perhaps your CMOS battery is dead.

7. Oron

If there's nothing happening at all (not even fans, lights etc), then it's almost certainly a bad contact. It *could* be a faulty power supply, but this is unlikely given that the PC was working before your stored it, so much suggestion would be - check that the power cable is plugged in securely into the base unit. If this does no good, try another cable. If there's still no sign of life, open the base unit and reseat (i.e. unplug and plug back in) all the major cables - anything that comes from the power supply, as well as the hard disc cable.

8. Daniel Pettinger

Pretty much what Suman said. If it isn't getting power, then it has to be the PSU.

Not often does a PC die when left in storage but who knows what happened. Could be clogged with dust and when you turned it on, poof.

If you aren't knowledgeable when it comes to computers, you are better off going to a computer store to get an expert to check it over.

9. eddy duyung

It might be bad PSU.....

10. Shahril

It might be power supply problem...

11. Suman Acharya

maybe a bad PSU -
    double check ac connections, make sure the on/off switch on the power supply is on, check voltage switch (115v in US, 230 Europe and elsewhere),
    you can also use another power supply for testing.did you noticed some noise when trying to power up you system - it indicates some component failed inside the PSU.