Why won’t my Windows / Dell laptop wake up from hibernation?

Morgan October 5, 2010

I bought a new Dell desktop in August. I don’t cut it off. If I leave it over night, about 8 hours it will not wake up. I have to manually cut it off and restart it. There I get the screen to select how to start. Dell took control of it, but did not fix it. Also have trouble getting Microsoft updates.

Hi
    Try to reset CMOS
    1) Take out the battery and the power cable from the power supply, and Press the on/off button Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete
    2) You need to dissasemble all parts and take off the small battery and hold n/off button for ten minutes,
    3)Some motherboards have a 3 pin jumper by the battery. Lets say that the jumper is on pins 2 and 3. Remove the jumper while the machine is OFF and place onto pins 1 and 2. Power on your machine for a minute. (Note: Your system will not POST). Shutdown your machine and put the jumper back to pins 2 and 3.

2. jhpot

Whoa, it's not been able to hibernate since you bought the thing? That's a huge problem, and one Dell should absolutely fix for you. This could be caused by a number of things--faulty RAM, software issues, outdated drivers or a dying hard drive. You need to be a little more insistent with Dell's customer service because that's not acceptable for a new computer.