How can I make Windows ask me whether to create new directory during isntallation?

Rick Siegert January 10, 2012

I create sub directories for my programs to allow me to keep better track of what I have and where. For example; C:\Utils, C:\Media, C:\Security. C:\Games, etc.

Every once in a while, I mistype and put a program into a wrong directory, which means I have to delete it from C:\Media} and re-install it.

Is there a way to make Windows check, during installation of programs, if a directory exists, and to ask if I want to create a new directory?

OR - you could just let things install to the correct c:/Program Files/ instead, and use the Windows uninstall wizard to manage them! 

Hello, I am nof familiar with something automated to check for that.  You have to consider that a lot of it depends on the software installation program.  The best way would be to just change the path when you are installing software.  By default software is going to be installed in the C: drive.  When you change the path for software to be installed, you should have the option of creating a new folder for it if needed.  It is manual though.

normally when you install a soft there should be an option to change directory, some installers offer custom installations and express installation; In custom mode you can choose where to install the software. Other softwares do not offer this kind of facilities depending how they are programmed.

perhaps Application Mover can help
    http://www.funduc.com/app_mover.htm