Why does my Windows computer restart itself?

Mohammad Hamzani Salleh February 28, 2012

I use Windows XP with p4 1.8GHz and 1GB of RAM.

Lately it suddenly restarts itself with no sign of crash or blue screen appear and popup windows about ‘system just recover from serious error’ or something. It just suddenly shuts down and restarts again. Sometimes it does it multiple times in a day and most while I use Media Player Classic to watch anime.

Can u guy help me troubleshoot this problem and give hint and solution or freeware to solve this? Thank you in advance.

hey salaam
    just put your system in air conditioner that only will help you
    otherwise always give good/best ventilation to your system means air should go always to your system that decreases the heat generated by the graphic cards

2. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

i dunno tina since now i use onboard grafiz n seem stable for pas few day till now.. i can play video, play game n run test with ease... no sign o error so far (cross my finger n hope for better) my pc is my world althought it have no internet connection.. thank again for many help...

3. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

okay guy i close this up since i already solve this issues.. thank for many help in here and fb.. i hope fb user also get to shortlisted to win since i get help most at fb... in here thank also.. my problem consist of 2 hardware problem. 1st when i first ask is about mc pc keep restart itself over n over again.. they problem "show" itself to me when my old hdd "dead". so i change to spare hdd n it turn to new prob, my pc suddently shutdown with no warning and instantly off like we switch off power. so i chehk one by one and then after i remove my grafix card, so far it stable n no sign of failure from several test that i perform using many soft ware like heavyload n stress my pc. so thank a lot again for those who help me solve this issues.

Thank you for the update Mohammad. Fingers crossed you found the culprit!

If there weren't any other graphics issues, maybe your graphics card was (just) overheating. Does it have its own fan? Check whether it's working.

4. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

hi all... thank for answer... but in the end i found my problem in a hard way.. one my old hdd dead. then after change to spare hdd. i can see my pc regain it speed or so.. so the problem of auto restart is over and now it replace with auto instant off.. just try all method so far from both here and fb page... so far after i remove my grafix card, the problem have yet to happen.. so i will postpone a little bit of close this up for the problem since it far from solve yet... will inform u guy back later in couple day after i fully check it...

Thanks for the update, Mohammad!

5. Azamat "Bohed" E

Shortly, and most probably, you have an overheating problem. I faced it once. The symptoms were same as yours. Your CPU fan is not cooling the processor good enough, and the system "saves" itself from dying by shutting down. 
    Check the system temperature with software like AIDA64: http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads/ 

When was the last time you changed ur CPU fan? If you are using a laptop, then it's time to clean up your fan.

6. Dav532000

Hi Mohammad. I would add more memory as you may not have enough to run all your Apps and watch movies at the same time.Do you have any wireless usb toggles connected to the Pc as these are known to cause the recover error, if so reinstall the software for it, have you installed any new software/Apps then noticed this happening after. Try to see if you can watch it in safe mode if you can as this just loads minimum drivers then the problem is else were and I can help you to find it. To get into Safe Mode restart the Pc tap F8 a window will open up, choose Safe Mode and let it run, when Safe Mode has loaded try to watch the video again, if all goes well then follow the next steps.
    Restart you Pc then in the Run Box type Msconfig when it has loaded,go to the Startup Tab, uncheck everything restart you Pc then try to watch your Video again, if all seems well then the boaring part starts, type Msconfig again you have to re-check them one at a time and then restart the Pc, until you find which one is causing the problem uninstall if not needed or re-install if needed.The only things that you really need in the Startup Tab is - Firewall, Antivirus and Anti-malware.This is known as a Cold Boot.

thanks for the input

8. Hengsheng_2010

is your computer too hot to run?  Since I have met the same situation.

9. Ulan Ibrahimovic

Definitely, there's a conflict between your DDR RAM. If you use several DDRs check their compatibility.

10. Juve_johnny

Codec pack could be the problem

11. ayman al-halawany

may be there is something wrong in your RAM , move it to another slot . that problem happens in my system when i using two memory chips from different manufactures thought they have the same speed .

also try to remove klc-codec and use jet- audio instead 

Hello, my suggestion would be to try a different player and see if the same thing happens.  You could try:

GOM Media Player:

If format is compatible, try windows media player.

13. Jay.0

It used to happen on my computer also with media player classic, I generally suggest disable automatic restart for such question,

But you should first upgrade/reinstall your klite codec:

Because a version of k lite caused many problems because of media player classic when watching videos.

I have used K-lite codec pack and media player classic with several computers and operating systems and there has never been problems with it. 

• Jay.0

New version does not have any problem, old had many.
        Restart when opening a video, freezing, crashing explorer.exe , video folder not loading properly etc etc.

there could be many reasons, bad memory, virus...

Chenck windows event viewer for message
    To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.

1) Click Start, then open Control Panel
    2) Click Performance and Maintenance
    3) Click System
    4) Click on the Advanced Tab
    5) Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
    6) Uncheck Automatically Restart in the System failure section

• shay

thank you very much i hope this works