Why does my Windows computer restart every time I boot?

Mustafa Azam Hussaini March 26, 2012

Every time I am starting my PC, it’s getting restarted continuously without opening the operating system. How to troubleshoot this problem?

1. i see u

-pc goes through POST (power on self test) when started and if it finds something wrong it will shut down.
     - the power supply may be lower than the demand. get new power supply.
    - if u have opened the case before, check for loose conections

Boot into Safe Mode.  Open the Event Viewer (Win+R, type 'eventvwr.msc" (without quotes) into the text box and hit return.  If you are using Vista/7, open the Windows Logs folder.  Click on the System log icon.  Look for the latest entry where the source is "eventlog" and the event ID is 6009.  This is the first entry created when a Windows system is started (or restarted).  The error messages preceding this entry will point to the cause of the restarts.  It is probably a driver issue.  If that is the case, roll back the latest driver for that device and restart the computer.

3. Indronil Mondal

which version of windows are you using??

In xp you can use the recovery council or in the later you can repair the startup files by  inserting the boot disc

can you boot to safe mode?
    if yes then
    you can try this
    1) right-click on My Computer then click the Properties.
    2) In System Properties window click the Advanced tab then click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    3) uncheck the Automatically restart check box. Click Ok.
    4) Reboot normally