Why is my Windows computer not responding after boot up?
Question by susendeep dutta /

My computer is more than 4 years old. It has Dual Core 2.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD. After boot up, whenever I try to open any folder in my documents or to open start menu, it hangs for few minutes and doesn’t respond. The Task Manager shows a CPU usage of 80% and 240MB RAM usage. But I have seen that none of the processes takes more than 5 MB during boot up.

How to troubleshoot this since there are very few startup programs?

• Thiru Rasi

how to install missing  dll files and drivers without windows xp cd

• kin

Hey wat kind of hardware problem was it? thanks can email me at kinhenry64@gmail.com

• ali

hi it is easy just install norton antivirus update it from:http://www.scanwith.com/download/Norton_AntiVirus_Definitions.htm
    turn of your system restore and restart your computer in safe mode thenscan the whole computer it will detect all the viruses it have!!!!!!!!!!!;-0

• Susendeep dutta

I had reinstalled my os and found that I’m dealing with very serious hardware problem.

I that all those who have helped me finding such unimaginative problem to me and thank you MUO.

Hello, try to keep your system lean. If there is software you do not use, uninstall it. Instead of using the windows uninstaller, install and use revo uninstaller to remove aplications:
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Keep you system clean and defragmented. There are many good free defragmenters available. Also what could be influencing the speed of you system is your harddrive, specially if it is not defragmented often. Your computer probably has an IDEA drive. That IDE drive combined with fragmentation can cause your applications to hang during startup. Have you checked how many services are running on your computer? This link provides services that can be disabled at startup. Just make sure you follow the instructions for your operating system. It can make a big difference:
    http://www.blackviper.com/

Also make sure you run the disk cleanup utility once in a while. To use the cleanup utility follow these steps:
    — start
    — All programs
    — Accessories
    — System Tools
    — Disk Cleanup
    — Check mark all the entries
    — Click ok

Also make sure you check your disk for errors. To do so, follow the next steps:
    — start
    — computer
    — highlight and select your drive
    — right click and choose properties
    — click on tools
    — click on check now
    — check mark automatically fix file checking errors
    — when it asks you to restart computer, do so

• best animation program

somekind of a virus? when did you scanned ?

• Susendeep dutta

I had scanned my system with Avast 5 free updated and found no virus.

You need to launch Task Manager (Right-Click on the taskbar and select Start Task Manager). The check the Processes tab, sort them in order of what service/program is using the most CPU by clicking on the CPU column. It might give you a clue as to what is hogging your system resources.

You can try a system restore
    SFC /SCANNOW http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

do you have zone alarm?

A.Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

•In Windows XP, click the Task Manager button.
    •In Windows Vista/7, select Start Task Manager.
    B.Select the Applications tab.
    C.For each program that has the status “Not Responding”:
    i.Select the program.
    ii.Click the End Task button.
    iii.To confirm, click the End Task button.
    iv.Decide whether to uninstall the program completely, or to stop it from automatically starting.

1)Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2)When you see the “Welcome To Setup” screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3)Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose “To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R”, (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose “To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R”.

4)Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5)Select the XP installation you want to repair from the listy and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!

6)Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Susendeep,

did you read my recently published Windows On Speed manual and did you try all the other tips there? Maybe you need to clean out the CPU fan or defrag your hard drive or scan the computer for malware.

Over the four years that you have been using your computer, you have probably installed and uninstalled a lot of programs. This causes a fragmented hard drive. The start menu has to read the disk to compile the information it displays. And if it responds slowly, a fragmented hard drive could be a potential cause. I advise you to use third party software to defrag.

• Susendeep dutta

I have fully read your guide before posting this question.I have recently(4 months ago) reinstalled my OS on my PC.

I use defraggler to defragment my HDD.My C: drive shows a 3 % fragmentation(271 MB).

Susendeep,

it sounds like you did the right thing.

It could still be a software or faulty hardware that is causing your issues. Did you try to start in Safe Mode and are you experiencing the same issues?

Were the suggestions below helpful?

• Susendeep dutta

I tried booting in safe mode and I didn’t experienced slowdown problem.

The suggestions below were helpful but still I experience the same problem.

Read Error Rate 116 (100 worst) Data 0006FCB9C5 ( info shown by speccy).

Did Windows XP run smoothly after you reinstalled 4 months ago?

Since the problems are gone in Safe Mode (they are, right?) I would think that you’re dealing with a software or driver issue. However, the error caused by defraggler could also mean that there is a problem with your hard drive.

What does the device manager say? Any errors or missing drivers? Did you run a chkdsk?
      Check out this Microsoft support article: How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

Last but not least, do you have any restore points that you can go back to and perform the system restore ha14 suggested below? If your issues are caused by software, this could solve it.

• Susendeep dutta

Windows XP run smoothly after reinstallation.

The device manager didn’t show any missing drivers.

My restore points are disabled by ccleaner by default in the name of safety.

• Susendeep dutta

When I was running defraggler, my hanged up and even ctrl+alt+del was not working.Even though the turn off button of my CPU case was not reponding.I restarted my PC through CPU case and got an error message that :

A read write error has occured
      press ctrl+alt+del to restart.