Why does my Windows computer take so long to start up?

Roy June 24, 2011

1. aditya

my pctakes tooo long to start

2. Nehal Sahoo

why my pc is taking long to start up

3. Sophia Young

I use Windows XP and my PC has started to take longer to open up?
    What causes this to happen?

4. dvd copy software

clear your pc

5. speed pc up

There are several possible causes for your PC slowdown--and as many solutions. 

6. sushil kumar

MAY BE LOTS OF PROGRAM START WHEN OS START ON YOUR COMPUTER.SO DISABLE ALL THOSE PROGRAM WHICH IS NOT NECESSARY AT WINDOW STARTUP.
    DEFRAGMENT YOUR HARD DISK ATLEAST ITIME IN MONTH.
    CHECH HARD DISK FOR ERROR ATLEAST ONE TIME IN MONTH.
    USE WINPATROL SOFTWARE TO DELAY SOME PROGRAM IF THEY NECESSRY AT START UP.

• JoeyDee

Why are you shouting?

Joey is right, your CAPS LOCK is very irritating, Sushil. Please cut it out!

• sushil kumar

next time i will take care of caps lock

7. JoeyDee

As there is no "one size fits all" canned response to your question, It's difficult to answer without knowing what OS you're running, what software you have running in the background, 3rd party FW, resident AV, IM programs, extra mouse drivers, CD writing software, M$ or Open Office "quickstart" modules, Auto update modules for every program known to mankind....etcetra....

According to M$, Windows XP was designed to boot from to a "usable state" within about 30 seconds...as long as you don't have anything running in the background. If you have various programs like you are looking at a shift from 30 seconds to up to several minutes.

Having said that, there's a few useful (and some NOT so useful) suggestions on this thread, I'd start with actually running a program/script to actually time your startup and measure your time as you begin to "tweak" your system.

The reply by JoseIbarra on the following thread says it pretty well: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/why-does-xp-take-so-long-to-boot-up/dc0a75ed-f249-4f3d-a4e2-0ac5c739a2bf

QUOTE: measure your boot up time, see how long every startup items takes, decide what you might be able to do about it, make some adjustments and measure the startup time again to see if things get better or worse.  First you need to know how long it takes right now.

By actually measuring and getting some times (down to the tenth of a second), you can eliminate the: it seems faster, it might be faster, it could be faster, I think it is faster kinds of subjective or emotional opinions and reactions.  You will know. 

If you have an actual time that you measured, you will know for sure if any adjustments you make are helping or not by comparing a before and after boot time.  You will not waste time guessing or trying things.END QUOTE

Do the other steps he suggests in the same thread.

Here's a pretty useful generic guide I found: Top 9 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer  http://windows.about.com/od/maintainandfix/a/8ways2speedup.htm

Use Google. Google is your friend.actually time your startup and measure your time as you begin to "tweak" your system.

Use Google. Google is your friend.

• JoeyDee

Sorry, a portion of my post hiccuped...Don't know how to/if I can edit it.
      (((Blushes from noobishness)))

Hello, does your computer have an IDE drive by any chance?  IDE drives are slow specially if you have one with 5400 rpm.  If you do not mind my asking, How old is your computer?  Besides basic maintenance like making sure your drivers are up to date, make sure to keep your drive clean and defragmented.  Also keep your startup programs on  check.  Also too many services running can affect your computer startup time.    

There are a few causes of this, too many startup items, low ram, driver/hardware incompatibility, multiple anti-malware/firewall solutions, etc. Check for updates by Microsoft to make sure you're up to date.

To disable startup items, go to start -> Run/search: "msconfig" (without quotes), press enter. This will launch a dialog box, go to the "startup" tab and disable any items you no longer need to start with windows. Don't remove any items that you don't know what they are, if you need help on what an item is, enter it in a reply here and I'll research it for you (file name + path).

An even more effective solution is to upgrade your existing ram, or add more to it.

Hello, I think you meant to say type "msconfig" as opposed to "ipconfig"

• Jeffery Fabish

Oops, thanks. Corrected.

• JoeyDee

The Msconfig startup tab should not be used to manage startup items, it is mainly a diagnostic tool, IMO. The System Configuration Utility will not list
      applications loaded in all possible startup locations. Most other entry
      points are hidden and unknown to the end-user.

Your best bet is to use a third-party software to inspect the startup. Though there are many freeware utilities which can track/log the startup entries, Sysinternal's Autoruns: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902 is most effective & user-friendly, IMHO.

Hi
    you can use soluto and see what will say
    http://www.soluto.com/

try cleaning Prefetch normally is in c:windows, then reboot, the first time will be slow since windows has to rebuilt it then will be normal.
    http://www.coolbuster.net/2009/08/empty-delete-prefetch-windows-7.html

then defrag your drives

also check disk
    http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.html

Roy,

which version of Windows are you running? At what point during the startup does it stall, what do you see?

• Nehal Sahoo

please help me tina my pc is taking long to open.when you online take my email and become my facebook friends please tina.help me

• aditya

window7

• aditya

there is a blank screen............