Is Windows 8 Pro compatible with any games?

Anonymous January 19, 2014

I received a Dell Alienware 17 Note for my birthday.  I really wanted a better computer for running Sims 3 because it is really slow and most expansions make the game lag and kick me off and I loose all progress.  Now I installed Sims 3 with Windows 8 Pro and it ran beautifully for three tries then it pulled my screen apart kind of like blurred or drunken vision.  So I changed the settings a few times and restarted a few times and it is still present.  I installed AOE 3 and the same problem occurred.  Is that because of my PC or because of Windows 8?

Check the Dell support site to see if there are updated drivers for your graphics card. If you are already using the latest version, see if you can downgrade to the previous version.

2. Tim B

If the computer is new, there's a good chance you're still owed some support from the people you bought it off. I'd recommend giving them a call and explaining the situation. They might walk you through the process of reinstalling your graphics drivers, or get you to run a few tests before replacing any faulty hardware. I'm not saying it's definitely the hardware, but you definitely want to find out for sure as soon as possible!

If the PC isn't crashing or freezing, then it's probably more likely a driver issue (this has been my experience in the past). If you know the model of your graphics chip, as well as manufacturer, you can head over to their website and download the latest drivers.

Good luck, do keep us posted.

Either try to update the graphics drivers or install an earlier edition driver to see if it helps. Also, try to find the latest patch for the games since there might be fixes for this issue. At worst, the graphics card may be faulty and needs replaced, which you would need to use the warranty for manufacturer's defect. Definitely try the suggestions that Hovsep mentioned.

Is the problem present on the Windows "desktop" too or only within games?

If it only effects games try re-installing the graphics driver. If other parts of Windows (or even the boot screen) is effected I suggest handing it in on warranty for a repair as it is most likely a hardware issue.

if you check here for Sims 3 version 1.63
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=The%20Sims%203&vendor=EA&ModelOrVersion=1&Type=Software&tempOsid=Windows+8
    you see that it is compatible

http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq
    FOR WINDOWS XP: •2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
    FOR WINDOWS VISTA: •2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent

Can your computer run The Sims 3?
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/Requirements/the-sims-3/10845?p=r
    scan your Dell Alienware 17 Note and see the result