Why won’t Windows 8 Pro 64-bit recognise my external hard drives?

July 9, 2013

I recently upgraded by installing Windows 8 Pro x64. My external hard drives (both USB – Toshiba 500MB & WD 80 GB) worked fine with Windows 7, Windows 8 32-bit as well as Ubuntu. This is on an HP laptop with 8gb of memory and two internal hard drives.

The laptop recognizes the USB connection as I hear a sound when connected, but the drives cannot be found in My Computer or Disk Management. I looked on the HP web site and they do not have any updated drivers for this PC.

Where are my drives? Why is this happening?

Have a look in the Device Manager and see if the USB hubs are properly installed. If not, you may need to download and install drivers for your USB controllers for your laptop from HP.

check if it is in Disk Management, if you see the external hard drive without letter
    1) Right-click in the left portion of that drive box WD or toshiba Disk
    2) Click “Initialize” and “OK” in the next dialog box. Wait few seconds and it should now say “Online” in the box.
    3) If there is no assigned drive letter, right click on the big space of your WD hard drive then choose Assign drive letter or Change Driver Letter and Path

open cmd wth adminstrative privilege
      Type in the following:
      1. diskpart
      2. list disk
      do you see the external hard drive there.

3. Umair M

Hi,

Do your HDs need extra power supply when you connect it to your machine?

As you can find a Unknown Device in the Device manager, your trouble should be caused by the driver, or the faulty USB port.

Please connect your HDs via another ports as a test. In addition, you'd better to apply the latest Chipset driver from manufacturer website,

Are you getting any errors in the Event Log? Are the drives showing up as removable USB devices of any sort? Do you have both connected simultaneously or do you use them one at a time?