Why is my Windows 8 display black after installing software from an unknown website?

Gethrod Nonato October 24, 2012

I am using Windows 8. I installed a Windows 8 additional feature from the Internet, which gave me notice to restart. When I restarted, the logo and the login option showed up but after the PC accepted my password and loaded the desktop, it all turned black.

All I can see is the cursor. I can Ctrl+Alt+Delete to show task bar, but I have no idea what happened to my desktop display. Can anyone please help?

1. illegal3alien

You can install software outside of the app store just fine without ruining Windows 8. You might give sfc /scannow a try. It's possible some system files got corrupt in the process.

use restore point to revert back to state prior installing that application.

3. Anay Chaubal

in windows 8, you are only supposed to install software from the microsoft store, else it will consider that the integrity of windows is kaput, and show you the said black screen of piracy. see what uninstalling that bit of software does, else, judging by the low amount of knowhow about win8, re-installing it might be the best option!