Why did the Windows 8.1 update disable Bluetooth and speakers?

Manika Misra December 2, 2014

Hi! I have a problem since upgrading to Windows 8 on Dell laptop.

After my upgrade, the speakers and Bluetooth devices stopped working. I have to restart my laptop to make the speakers work because once it is shut down and I open it, the speakers don’t work. I have tried to uninstall the 8.1 update but don’t know how to do it.

I just want to ask how can I solve this problem. Please be kind enough to give me specific answer, as I am really looking forward for your answers. It’s my new laptop and I’d like it to work properly.

1. Sajid

Sorry wait, you have to restart your laptop because when you shut down and open it your speakers don't work?

Do you mean when you put it on stand by? Cause that sounds like you're restarting it.

As mentioned above, check you have the latest drivers.

2. jerfrank

it is a normal phenomenon when you upgrade your system. Because some drivers will not supported by your new system 8.1.

So you can do this by reinstall the Bluetooth and speaker drivers.

You need to enter the "Device Manager" to uninstall the Bluetooth and Speaker drivers.

Then download a driver updater software to help you find the windows 8.1 suit bluetooth drivers and speakers. you can download it from here: http://www.dell-driver.com/driver-updater/

So after you install this software in your computer, you runs this program, it will recommend you the right bluetooth and speaker drivers for your windows 8.1.

Hope it helps.

• Doc

Completely inaccurate. Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 all take (roughly) the same drivers, and many drivers are also compatible with Windows XP. The updates since Windows 8.0 came out have made *no* significant changes to device driver compatibility, they're almost all GUI (Graphic User Interface) changes to the Desktop and Metro/Modern interfaces.

• Doc

This seems to be a Sleep/Hibernate problem, rather than a device driver problem, since your devices work on a "cold" boot. Try going into Device Manager and disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." This may keep those from turning off fully, if the problem is "waking" them back up again when resuming.

• Rayan

How about for a Lenovo G585, I don't have a Bluetooth option in pc settings at all

1) open search type: find and fix problems
    2) click on hardware and sound
    3) click on hardware and devices

4. laurelnev

Check Dell's website for updated drivers. If it's a new Dell, and is still under warranty, ask them to fix the issue.