Why does Windows 7 wake up from sleep mode?

Mel Ferrer May 3, 2012

Why does my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit suddenly wake up by itself from sleep mode?

1. Alan Johnson

Had same problem. This solved it for me: In control panel -> administrative tools -> Task Scheduler … find under Windows -> media center … find mcupdate_scheduled in the history window. Click on the ‘triggers’ tab and then click on ‘properties’ in the actions window and DISABLE the automatic update.

• lisa

I wanna thank you for the help. This whole time i thought it was a ghost and never can go back to bed when i heard it go on..lol Again thank you for helping me this problem.

• sutum

Thanks for your advice. I could not figure this for a month.

Hello, most times this happens when there are background tasks that are set to be run at specific times. Have you checked your task scheduler to check if there are any background tasks set there? These tasks are not necessarily set by windows, they can be set by third party programs.

1) Go to run and type cmd and launch it
    2) then type: powercfg lastwake, •You will now see what last woke up your computer
    3)type: powercfg /devicequery wake_from_any, this will lists all the hardware devices that are capable of waking up the computer.
    3) Type: powercfg devicequery wake armed, There! You’ll find the cause and you can solve the matter

It is most likely seeing network activity which causes it wake. You can change this by going to Network and Sharing Center, click on Change adapter settings, right-click on the adapter you want to change and select Properties. Clik the Configure... button then the Power Management tab and clear the checkbox for 'Allow this device to wake the computer'. Click on OK.