Windows 7 and Ubuntu Dual-boot problem

Darryl February 22, 2010

When I boot my computer I see my BIOS running memory checks etc. The problem arises when I try and select an operating system, there is no longer my boot screen asking which operating system I want to load; I can still manage to load my operating system by guessing which operating system I have highlighted.

My computer had Windows XP with Ubuntu added after and the dual boot worked without any problems, I upgraded my Windows XP to Windows 7 but there still didn’t seem to be any problems. I’ve been running Windows 7 and Ubuntu alongside each other fine for about 2-3 months.

I can’t run Windows Repair from the installation disk because at the moment my DVD drive is no longer working, and my Ubuntu keeps loading into command line whenever I try to boot Ubuntu OS.

1. Pewekar_sne

I had Windows 7 earlier and installed the Linux Ubuntu to work alongside, my problem is that now i use ubuntu effectively but my windows is not working, it is trying to repair the problems at startup but it doesnt seem to find any problems, and it keeps getting shut down after the diagnostic

Pewekar,

are you still looking for a solution to your issue?

It looks like you won't receive a response within this comment thread. From experience I know that you have a better chance of receiving some feedback and solutions when your question hits the front page of MakeUseOf Answers. Hence, I recommend you to ask a new question.

2. iwanttoknow

When you updated windows it reinstalled the windows MBR so you need to reinstall GRUB

3. W123c

your blog is really good.I want to know is there any problem in windows 7 fonts?I have instaled and font not clear.

thanks.

If you have a problem with fonts on Windows 7, please post a new question. Thank you.

4. Peacock_eric

firevas is right....
    but, i've tried 'till i was blus in the face, and the best thing to do is to install linux AFTER you install windows (any version)

it's an excercise in futility to get windows to share with another operating system.

always install in this order - xp, 7, linux

Hello Darryl,

For the actual Windows 7 and XP -Yes you can "multiboot" to Windows XP and Windows 7. *(After installing Windows 7, default Windows 7 is selected and that will be the primary choice for booting to Windows 7).
    See the following detailed instructions on the Microsoft website:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot
    Essentially, these are the important steps to pay attention to:
    "On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.
    On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the partition or disk where you want to install the new Windows operating system.
    Be sure to install Windows on a different partition from the one where the earlier version of Windows is installed.
    Click Next to begin the installation. You might see a compatibility report."

Additional information about Multiboot from the Microsoft website:
    Can I have more than one operating system on my computer (multiboot)?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Can-I-have-more-than-one-operating-system-on-my-computer-multiboot

Let me know if this helps!
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

6. Srinivas G

As you are booting into the Ubuntu command line, try running these commands, in the order; Only go to the next command if the first one doesn't work:

1) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

2) startx

3) dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Courtesy: Rudra.J at techarena forums.

Also please mention which version of ubuntu you are using, and how many internal hard disks you have. :)

7. Varun Kashyap

Darryl are you able to boot either operating system?

Are you using another program to duel boot or are you using the one that is provided in Ubuntu (Grub) or the one in Windows 7?

Find which one you are using, and look in the settings and see if you can change something to fix your problem.