Why is Windows 7 shutting down and/or not responding?

Gian Singh September 1, 2012

Hi Everyone,

Usually I am pretty good with computers I am a graphic designer/web developer and my computer is essential to my career. However a couple days ago I started having problems where all of my programs kept going into not responding and occasionally Windows would shut down and give me a blue screen saying the PC is shutting down to prevent damage or something like that and every time it boots Windows wants to do a disk check. So I thought it was a registry problem or a virus so I reinstalled windows and I am still having the same problems, I am running a Kaspersky Full Scan of my computer right now and it hasn’t found anything yet. I really need help I cannot find anything online about this all happening together. The worst part is the slow speeds and my computers hardware is pretty good, I will list the specs down below along with a link to an image of the blue screen shut down.

Computer Specs:
2.90 GHz AMD Athlon II X4 635
8GB DDR3 RAM
Seagate “somthing”2TB HDD
MSI Motherboard
AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB
Windows 7 Ultimate
Blue Screen Shutdown
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_XsZ00KcDpnU/S_tvipZtWuI/AAAAAAAAAPc/Dho8ZYXEHLg/image%255B14%255D.png
Thank you all so much, I need this resolved ASAP.

1. Sc Ling

Go o Safe Mode (press F8 repeatedly upon booting up). Choose Safe Mode with Networking so that you can go to the Internet - use Eset Online Scanner, install it and scan your computer

2. Mac

As you say you're a passionate graphic designer (as I am!). Graphic works needs a lot of electric energy for all the hardware involved in this process. Moreover, you are running a AMD cpu which is a very high temperature generator. I think if you are trying to clean up the dust in your pc should solve this problem... Also check for dirt (dust, lint, etc.) the power source behind your computer case. I've seen a lot of computers full of dust having this kind of problems. Wish you luck!

3. Eserpess der

I think your Hard Drive is about to crap itself...Id get a new one and back up what you can while it still lives.

4. Dayaanand1

You may be having a HDD that is going to fail, or you may have some loose connections. Try reinstalling the RAM module.

install Whocrashed, when windows go TO BSOD and you are forced to boot to safe mode, launch whocrashed to will analyze minidump and will tell you the reason.

remove your RAM clean them and reinsert, reboot windows and see the result.

Hirens boot cd has memtest inside, do that to see RAM health
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

A STOP: 0x7b error is generally related to storage devices. If you have recently updated your SATA controller driver, try to roll it back to a previous version (especially since Windows wants to run a chkdsk). If you have updated other storage controller drivers, they may also cause this problem. You can try to boot into Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs there. There are also boot sector viruses and rootkits that can cause this error as well, but running a scan, even from Safe Mode will rarely if ever find and remove it. You need to download something like Kapersky's Rescue Disk, burn it to a CD and boot from that in order to be able to remove that type of infection. It is also possible that your BIOS became infected especially since a reinstall of Windows didn't fix it (unless you didn't do a clean reinstallation). Download the most current BIOS from the MSI site for your board and re-flash it (only possible way to deal with a BIOS infection) although you will need to do it with their DOS version (doing it from Windows means that the virus is active and can immediately reinsert itself).

Forgot to mention that it is entirely possible that your hard drive is crapping out. You will need to look in the System Log in Event Viewer for entries with a Source field of 'disk'. If you are seeing a lot of those errors, it is likely your hard drive is in its death throes.

• Gian Singh

OK I tried the kaspersky rescue disk and it did not solve anything or find any threats or issues. I tried running windows in safe mode and it crashed both times when i tried. I don't think i need a new hard drive because i just bought this one 2 months ago because my previous hard drive had crashed after 3 years of service. So now i think i need to flash it, but i have no knowledge on how to do so. And i checked some sites and followed some tutorials on how to do it and it did not work, what i did was download an update and put it on a DVD with power ISO and booted from it and it did not do anything.

• Gian Singh

Forgot to mention that i need your help with this...

How to Update Your Computer's BIOS -

http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer%27s-BIOS

Updating a BIOS requires knowing correct motherboard model.So,you need to provide this for getting extensive help related to this.Could you please post screenshot of your system specifications through Speccy or CPU-Z .

Have you checked the System Log for entries indicating disk errors? New hard drives can still fail and this is where you will see some of the earliest indications of it. And like I stated above, that specific bugcheck is related to storage devices.