Why won’t Windows 7 recognize my USB drive?

Makis Elvanidis September 25, 2012

Windows 7 won’t recognize my USB flash drives. They are 32GB and made by Toshiba, model U2M.

When I plug it in it says Disk in Drive Not Formatted. Nothing happens when I try to format. I’ve tried to fix it with cmd > diskpart > clear all, but it says there is no partition. What can I do?

1. GrrGrrr

Does the USB work on another system?

2. Dimal Chandrasiri

do a disk partitioning first. if it fails, try connecting it to a linux OS and see it works. the grater chance is it will work on Linux. after that try formatting. or if all the above fails, you should contact your vendor for assistance.

3. Deekshith Allamaneni

You might have lost the drivers.
    Activate Windows Update and the drivers will be automatically installed.

4. Henry Lahman

Format it with a program like hp's or toshiba's flash drive formater
    you may need to create a partition but those programs may do that for you

5. HLJonnalagadda

As suggested, it can be done through Disk Management. Is this a new USB drive or something that was working fine before?

6. Ray

My thought is you need to put a Partition on the Drive. This is needed before formatting... I know you can do this using the Disk Management Utility provided with windows 7.

Click lower right, enter Disk Management, select and follow your nose...

If you have formatted chances are you can partition....

7. Alex

If says "no partition" then need create partition first )) What it displayed in Windows Disk management?
    Can also try format with Toshiba utility http://www.toshiba.co.jp/p-media/english/download/tnu/format02.htm