Why does Windows 7 not recognize my product key as genuine?

Nyamoro July 30, 2011

I have a genuine copy of Windows 7, but I keep getting a message that my copy of Windows is not original and I should buy another product key. I know I am entering the product key correctly and that my DVD is original. I have the case and all the documentation that came with it, so what’s going on?

1. Matt Lou

Someone may have stolen your key and using it so Windows is treating your key as used already from another computer. Contact Microsoft and they will help you with that. Good luck.

Possible someone else figured out the key and was used on another pc? You can call microsoft and ask wgats going on and they will repair the issu. You can activate by phone, its an option.

1.) Did you buy the key from a reseller? 
    2.) Does the serial match the installation? (Windows 7 x64 home premium, etc). If your attempting to use the key on an install that doesn't match the serial, it's not going to work.
    3.) Are you sure it's not an upgrade key? Some keys are meant to be used as upgrade keys, and not install keys. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-7-activation-error-invalid-product-key