Why does Windows 7 not recognize my portable Western Digital hard drive?

romuel gumiran July 24, 2011

I have a WD portable hard drive and I am using a Toshiba l300 laptop with Windows 7.

My problem is, I can’t use my WD because every time I connect, a message saying “USB not recognized” pops up. Please help me with this.

1. Dave LeClair

I just recently had this same problem. Tried every step imaginable and eventually made a live Disk and used Linux to run drive diagnostics. Turned the hard drive itself was shot and needed to be replaced.

2. Romuelgumiran

yes, I already tried Lenovo-IBM OS xp but still I get the same message.

Hello, that error you are getting does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with your harddrive.  What it is telling you is that there is something wrong with your usb port.  Have you tried connecting a different usb device into that port?  and if so, do you get the same results?  Have you tried using a different usb port?

restart your pc 2, 3 times and see if will be there

• Romuelgumiran

Thanks.  I will try this..

did any of the suggested solutions work for you? Please keep us updated. Thank you!

• Rx2kay

it doesnt recognise still

well possible that you have to send hard drive for repair, if it doesnt recognize then you need a tech support.

device bypasses the bios and will let you use bare drives, hot swapping

• Rx2kay

it doesnt recognise still