Why does Windows 7 not recognize my portable Western Digital hard drive?
Question by romuel gumiran /

I have a WD portable hard drive and I am using a Toshiba l300 laptop with Windows 7.

My problem is, I can’t use my WD because every time I connect, a message saying “USB not recognized” pops up. Please help me with this.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Dave LeClair

I just recently had this same problem. Tried every step imaginable and eventually made a live Disk and used Linux to run drive diagnostics. Turned the hard drive itself was shot and needed to be replaced.

• Romuelgumiran

yes, I already tried Lenovo-IBM OS xp but still I get the same message.

Hello, that error you are getting does not necessarily mean that there is something wrong with your harddrive.  What it is telling you is that there is something wrong with your usb port.  Have you tried connecting a different usb device into that port?  and if so, do you get the same results?  Have you tried using a different usb port?

restart your pc 2, 3 times and see if will be there