Why does Windows 7 not recognize my external hard drive?

Tony Joyce August 30, 2010

Windows 7 Home Premium would not recognize a 360 GB iomega external USB hard drive.

It did show on devices and printers, but no letter was allocated. I tried to allocate a letter, but that did not work. What else can I do? Appreciate your help!

1. Tonyjoyce

Thanks ukohara . your suggestion worked. Thanks to all.

2. ukohara

well go to device manager and choose USB option. try to see how many ports are active pr showing devices connected to them, then try to recognize in which port ur HDD is connected. then right click on the usb link and choose update driver follow on screen option and browse for the driver software for usb media. then restart and re connect the HDD see id it recognize it or not. if this does nt work then contact the disk manufcturer and take their help. usually it is a driver issue. dont worry try to download it from manufacturer's website. it will solve ur problem.

What does it say in Disk Management? Right click my computer --> Manage -->Disk Management. Is it recognized there?

Tony,

a similar question was asked previously, maybe the answers can help you, too:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/external-hard-drive-longer-visible-windows-explorer/