Why does Windows 7 reboot when I want it to shut down?

Unforgiven June 27, 2010

I have a problem with Windows 7. When I try to shut down my CPU will not respond to that exact command, rather it will reboot or restart.

So when you hit ShutDown, the computer turns off straight away and restarts or does it go down the normal shutdown procedure and then restart?

Instead of going through the start button, adjust the power settings so when you press the power button on the computer, make that shutdown. I doubt it willfix the problem but it may.

Also, make sure it's the shutdown button, not the restart your are clicking? It might be a silly mistake like that - we've all done it before.

If you noticed this problem recently, what new software have you installed? You may want to do a System Restore?

2. George Saadeh

To troubleshoot the shutdown problem you can try the following:- Updating your BIOS to a newer version- Check for unknown devices in the Device manager and try installing proper drivers- Disable the automatic restart option by Right clicking Computer, Properties,Advanced tab, Settings button (Starup and Recovery), and unchecking Automatically Restart. Now when you shutdown see if it gives you an error message.- If there is a problem with AHCI or other low level drivers then your system may error, appear to be shutting down but in fact it restarts. Try disabling AHCI in the BIOS (Check your motherboard manual for details)- Make sure you install the motherboard drivers- Power Management problem for specific hardware such as the Wireless adapter - If you still have the problem and the error message that appeared after disabling auto restart didn't help you much, try disabling your hardware from the device manager and shutting down ... You will be able to identify which hardware driver is causing the error ...