Why does Windows 7 reboot instead of shutting down?
Question by Brian Dowling /

When I shut down Windows, my computer follows normal procedure, shuts down, and then restarts. I have to then turn it off during reboot.

The problem seemed to start about the same time as I acquired ‘Conduit and Babylon’.
I have almost isolated them I think! Does anybody have any suggestions ?

• Susendeep Dutta

Another thing I would like you to check further that whether your SMPS is faulty or burned.What happens is that when SMPS gets damaged it fails to shutdown the PC.This incident has happened to me and it resulted a huge array of replacement of many parts of my PC like motherboard,speakers.

So make sure to check your SMPS before its too late.

I agree with removing the suspected installation first.

but if this does not work,

use system restore, and go back to a restore point when things were fine.
    as it resets your pc.

Hello, I would first remove Conduit & Babylon.  Restart computer and see if problem remains.  Most times, you could fix this by trying to clear the CMOS by either removing the battery or by  shorting the CMOS jumpers.  Keep in mind that you have to open your case to do this.  You could also try entering BIOS and setting the load default settings.

go to run  and type in regedit and hit enter. Locate the following key:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon

Double Click on “PowerdownAfterShutdown”

Then,
    Change it to “0” if it is “1” OR
    Change it to “1” if it is “0”.

And hit Enter.

Then restart the computer and after it restarts try to shutdown again. Hopefully this will work for you. :)

make sure you change the value in regedit back if dont fix the issue

did you opened the case and modified cables…?

• Jeff

Hi Brian,

Please go to Start -> Search and type “cmd.exe“. Then right click on the command prompt utility and chose “Run as administrator“. Once the command prompt appears, enter the command “sfc /scannow” without quotes. This will scan your system for any integrity discrepancies, if one is found it will require your installation media in order to repair it.

Once that command finishes (may take a while) enter the command “chkdsk /f“. It will ask you if you want to schedule it for the next startup, enter “Y“. Now reboot. Once your computer boots up, it will begin checking your hard drive for errors.

Does this answer your question?
    – Jeff

• Briandowling69

Hi Jeff,

I have just followed your advice and can now tell you that I can now shut down normally. 

Many Thanks.
        Brian.

thanks for letting us know