Tina

Why does Windows 7 lose WiFi signal shortly after successfully connecting to my router?

02 Apr 2010
02 Apr 2010 | |

I have a strange issue with my netbook HP Mini 210. Everything worked fine until I did a fresh installation of Windows 7 Professional (English). I had previously upgraded from Windows 7 Starter (German) to Windows 7 Professional (German). No issues there in over two months. All drivers are the most recent from the HP homepage.

Ok, here’s the issue. When I boot the netbook, I see all WiFi signals in my area. I connect to my router, everything’s great. After a few minutes, without doing anything (netbook sits on table above the router) I lose the signal. Sometimes, I still see the WiFi signals for a while, but can’t connect to my router. Windows 7 cannot resolve the issue. Then at some point my router signal disappears along with all other WiFi signals. The only fix is to reboot for the whole process to start over.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers. I didn’t make any changes to the router except for rebooting it. Besides, it doesn’t matter whether or not I connect to the network. Two other laptops have no issues whatsoever with connecting to the same router through WiFi.

So I uninstalled all Windows updates because I suspected they may be the cause. After that didn’t help I went back to the first system restore point I had. Up until now this appears to have resolved the issue. I’ve been installing all Windows updates one after the other, restarting and testing the WiFi connection after each update. However, that’s very tedious and I don’t want to do this forever.

It’s the same issue described in the thread below, but nobody could provide a satisfying solution:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-and-home/HP-Mini-210-Broadcom-Wireless-Disconnects-on-Windows-7-32bit/m-p/226726

Any ideas or suggestions how I can avoid this issue in the future?