Why does Windows 7 lose WiFi signal shortly after successfully connecting to my router?
Question by Tina /

I have a strange issue with my netbook HP Mini 210. Everything worked fine until I did a fresh installation of Windows 7 Professional (English). I had previously upgraded from Windows 7 Starter (German) to Windows 7 Professional (German). No issues there in over two months. All drivers are the most recent from the HP homepage.

Ok, here’s the issue. When I boot the netbook, I see all WiFi signals in my area. I connect to my router, everything’s great. After a few minutes, without doing anything (netbook sits on table above the router) I lose the signal. Sometimes, I still see the WiFi signals for a while, but can’t connect to my router. Windows 7 cannot resolve the issue. Then at some point my router signal disappears along with all other WiFi signals. The only fix is to reboot for the whole process to start over.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers. I didn’t make any changes to the router except for rebooting it. Besides, it doesn’t matter whether or not I connect to the network. Two other laptops have no issues whatsoever with connecting to the same router through WiFi.

So I uninstalled all Windows updates because I suspected they may be the cause. After that didn’t help I went back to the first system restore point I had. Up until now this appears to have resolved the issue. I’ve been installing all Windows updates one after the other, restarting and testing the WiFi connection after each update. However, that’s very tedious and I don’t want to do this forever.

It’s the same issue described in the thread below, but nobody could provide a satisfying solution:

Any ideas or suggestions how I can avoid this issue in the future?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Patsheba

I am having a similar problem with Windows 7 on my new laptop.  After I install all the updates, it tells me in the Chrome I use, on any & everything from Facebook to hotmail to msn  401 This website is blocked by Administrator.  The help says it is Content Administrator or Parental Controls, both which I have shut off.  After I turn off the laptop again, it won’t connect to any of the 2 wifi signals I get, or the secured tunnel wifi signal broadcast by our condo association for our secure use.  They have authorized my new laptop as a user (so no key necessary for me).  I had to download 62 updates immediately and also, have just gotten 6 or 8 done and haven’t located the one with the problem  yet…. have spent over 10 hours in 2 days struggling with this.

the question you replied to here is rather old. I would recommend you to ask a new question!

You mentioned in your post there are other wifi signals/routers in your area. Your router should have the option to select a different channel (1 to 11); also, look for a “protected mode” that specifically deals with signals in a high 2.4GHz traffic area. (This is the same frequency most cordless phones operate- so thats another source of interference for you to deal with.)
    There are several programs that allow you to scan the airwaves, and tell you the channel everyone else is on, and thus, the channels to avoid.
    Frequent disconnecting isnt necessarily an OS problem, as this happens across all platforms

The WiFi signal didn’t disconnect frequently. The problem was entirely different. Besides, I already fixed it with a fresh installation, see comment above.

Thank you for your suggestions anyways. They may be useful for someone else. :)

• Jack Cola

I actually had a similar issue, but with my Desktop PC running Windows Vista. I couldn’t work out the problem, but changing it to B/G mode instead of N, reduced it happening a lot more. If you go into device managers –> Right click computer –> manage –>device manager, if you disable it and re-enable it, it should work again. That’s what I had to do with my computer.

I also found that the speed was incredible slow. Download speeds of the internet were at 1mb/s, while it should been at least 10. It was up and down like a yoyo.

I got annoyed and just put a cable under the floor. But this isn’t a good option for your laptop.

Thanks for the suggestion Jack!

I guess I’ll try a complete format and fresh installation.

I installed the English Windows 7 over the German one, but the system partition was not formatted at any point. I thought it would be, but it definitely wasn’t as some folders still carry older dates. Hopefully, this is what caused the issues to appear in the first place.

• Jack Cola

If you are going to do a format and fresh install, make sure you back up all your important files.

Some laptops even have a factory reset – I would recommend that over an install.

Just an update: formatting and reinstalling Windows 7 (English) fixed the issue.
      It must have been a OS language or driver conflict of some sort.