Why is my Windows 7 no longer recognized as genuine after replacing my laptop’s hard drive?
Question by L. Rousay /

How can I get Microsoft to recognize that my Windows 7 upgrade is genuine? Purchased after I bought my laptop with Windows Vista. It was fine until I had to have the hard drive replaced. Now it tells me my Windows 7 is not genuine. I have the disk, receipt, pass key etc.

I really don’t know where the person in the linked topic called at Microsoft.

The Hard Drive is a mechanical part which may die because of age or needs to be upgraded for storage needs. It is very much allowed within the Windows license to change it without having to buy a new license.

The WGA notification simply is a result of Windows being cloned. WGA detects a change in the Hard Drives UUID and therefor triggers the alarm.

Troubleshooting tips can be found in the linked topic.

One additional thing you could try is to “rearm WGA”:
    1. Click Start > All Programs > Accessories
    2. right-click Command Prompt and select “Run as Administrator…”
    3. type “slmgr -rearm”
    4. restart Windows and try both Internet activation and Telephone activation

If none of the given troubleshooting tips works it is most likely because the local WGA database got corrupted during cloning.

As I posted in the previous topic the best place to get help is the official WGA Issue Forum.

Hello, as you can see this question was asked not long ago.  Pretty much when your original drive dies or there is problems with it and you are forced to change drives, you will have problems if you use the same license key.  The reason for this is that when the previous license was activated it took an inventory of your hardware and now after installing a new disk and you try to activate, it sees a different inventory of hardware.  Like I said in the previous post Mike linked to, there are always problems when you use the upgrade option specially from Vista to Windows 7.  My best advice is to call Microsoft and explain your situation, after your situation is explained completely, they will probably help you activate your license or give you a new one. 

• Jakhamar Ajax

As everyone knows why a new hard disk is not allowed, and as you can see and read in the comments above, the question was asked by the same person who did contact microsoft and microsoft told her she will have to purchase a new copy. READ it :)

thank you for the info…….but it is not needed