Why can’t Windows 7 load drivers for my external Asus DVD burner?

Gaetan Gauthier August 9, 2012

I would like to know why Windows 7 cannot load drivers for my external Asus DVD burner (SDRW 08D25-U) which connects via USB.

I get told that “this device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)” but when I try to update drivers I get message “Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date”. The drivers on are windows\system32\DRIVERS\GEARaspiWDM.SYS.

try this microsoft solution while your External Asus dvd burner is plugged
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

if you have the driver setup you can install it in compatibility mode for windows vista for exampl
    1) Right Click the driver installation file and select Properties then /Compatibility Tab. Select the appropriate options from the list
    2Click Apply/OK.
    3)Right Click the file and select the Run As Administrator option to install.

2. Oron

Gaetan, what operating system do you use, XP, Vista or Windows 7 (and if either of the latter two, 32 or 64 bit)? Also, have you loaded special drivers for it as suggested by Bruce?

3. ferdinan Sitohang

First uninstall the driver from device manager, restart your PC then. After that take the driver from asus choose 64 bit vista(if your windows is 64 bit) or 32 bit vista(if your windows 32 bit) and install it. It may a different type of external DVD Burner, but may be it works. Thanks

Did the drive come with its own driver disc? Were those installed according to the instructions before attaching the drive to the system? For proper operation, many USB devices require the drivers to be installed on the system before the device is attached so it will use those drivers instead of generic drivers that the OS pulls from the web or that may already be installed on the system. What you can do here is use Device Manager to uninstall the currently installed drivers, remove the device from the system, reboot the computer, install the drivers that were provided with the device and plug in the device when prompted by the driver installer.