Why can my new Windows 7 laptop not connect to WiFi despite excellent signal?
Question by Jennifer h /

I have an HP G6 series laptop new from the store running Windows 7. I have excellent signal in the room above my wireless router, but when I try to connect to it it either says “to be in range or change access point” or limited or no connectivity, even though I have excellent signal. Why? And how do I fix this?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Ryan Dube

Jennifer, just wanted to confirm what M.S. Smith wrote. I had the same exactly problem as you, and for me it was related to the second issue described above. I had to head back to the store and purchase the newer router. No matter what I did, the PC would not talk to the router via Wi-Fi. Bought a new router and it practically connected automatically without much effort on my part. I often have issues connecting to other folks routers with the laptop if they use an older one.

Just something to consider. Hope you’re able to get it resolved.

• M.S. Smith

There are a few problems that could be at work here.

The problem could be a local network conflict between your laptop and another device connected to your router. This isn’t uncommon when buying new hardware. All your devices should have their own specific local I.P. which is usually something like 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc. Sometimes, however, these aren’t assigned properly. You can try to fix this by resetting your router via unplugging it, or you can try resetting it via instructions in your router manual. If you don’t have your router manual, don’t worry – it’s almost certainly available at the manufacturer’s website.

If this is not the issue, then the problem could be the type of wireless network connect used. Recently the new wireless n standard has become popular, but older routers often have wireless g. In theory, this should cause no conflict at all because new laptops usually ship with legacy support for the older wireless g standard, but in practice this doesn’t always work out. Check to see if your new laptop supports wireless n, check the laptop manual to see if you need to do something to activate a “legacy mode” and if all else fails, try buying a wireless n router (provided your laptop is indeed made to support wireless n, of course).

Of course, the problem could be a simple hardware failure. If the above suggests don’t work, I recommend calling HP tech support to see if they might concur.

• Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

Were you able to connect to that access point before? Is it password protected? Do you own that access point?

If you do own the access point unplug it from the power outlet for a minute or so, plug it back in and wait for it to restart (or use the reset button that will reset the router to factory defaults) and try again, if it ask for a password use the default password and see what happens. If nothing works I suggest you contact your ISP.

If you don’t own that access point and you see that it is not password protected then the router could be filtering MAC address’ or be password protected and that could be why it rejects your connection.