Why does my Windows 7 laptop boot in Safe Mode?

bakhtawer tanveer November 9, 2014

Hey. My laptop is a Dell “Latitude E6400” with Windows 7. Its screen just blacked out while I was using it. And when I tried to start it again it displayed three options: 1. Start in a safe mode; 2. Start in a safe mode with networking; and 3. Start with a safe mode with command prompt.

And the last option was to start Windows normally. I chose to start Windows normally but it again blacked out with only my cursor visible.

So I hard pressed the power switch and restarted my laptop again only this time I chose to open the windows in a safe mode with networking. I don’t know what is the matter with my laptop and I need help.

1. allenage

If at all all the suggestions above doesnt works for you repair your os with boot cd

As Kannon and Hovsep suggest, rolling back your drivers (or restoring to a previous system restore point) is probably the easiest way to get your system going again.

If that doesn't work though then I suggest you run the Event Viewer and look for the error that occured just before your system crashed. That will at the very least give you an idea of which program caused the crash which is a good starting point.

1) boot to Safe Mode with the Command Prompt
    2) Ones the drivers are all loaded enter this at the command prompt: rstrui.exe
    3) The System Restore utility will load and will present a list of restore points you can revert to

if you have Windows 7 System Repair Disc then you can boot it and choose startup repair or launch windows restore
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc
    you can create this cd from another laptop.

Hello Bakhtawer, in most cases this issue is caused by either a bad system update or a bad driver update. I would boot into safe mode (as you are forced to do) and then go to System Restore. From there, roll back to the last update and see if your system boots.

It's been a while since I had to work on a Windows 7 laptop, but IIRC, auto-boot into a recovery mode is a Windows 8 feature.

Hope that helps! Good luck!