Why does Windows 7 sometimes hang on shut down?

Alan Trinder August 5, 2012

Sometimes my PC does not complete the shut down process and just stays as if it is processing something before shutting down. I can of course switch off the power which does the job but I would love to know what causes it and any possible solutions to fixing it. I usually leave a Bluetooth keyboard connected if that makes a difference? Thanks,

1. syed Muhammad Ali naqvi shah

You can use Vista driver. I have 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate. If you are using 32-bit version, software directories may be different but the method should be the same.

The driver version (from Labtec) I use is:

Version: 10.5.1 build 1130b
    Posted: 03/27/2007
    Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista, XP, 2000

Download the Vista driver, x86 or x64 from Labtec. Labtec.com > Support > Downloads

Install the software. Yes, it gives an error "You cannot use the current version blah blah blah". HOWEVER, setup extracts the drivers to the following directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Labtec\WebCamWebInstall\Drivers\x64

[Comment] Normal unistall -procedure shouldn't leave any files behind, but Labtec's does (fortunately).

Now open the Device manager. Choose your webcam. And if you don't know which one of the devices is your webcam, you should try to find ? -sign and if you check the hardware details, you should be able to find the USB hardware id. Hardware ID for my webcam (same as yours) should be USB\VID_046D&PID_08A2&REV_0100&MI_00

Choose the device. Click the mouse's right buttom. Choose Update the driver software. Locate the driver. You can find the driver from directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Labtec\WebCamWebInstall\Drivers\x64 or similar... depending the OS version you have.

There are also two subdirectories ...\WELH64 and ...\WIM64

Your driver is in ..\WELH64 -subdirectory, if you have models Labtec WebCam(Elch 2) / Lacamus, Labtec webcam plus
    Your driver is in ..\WIM64 -subdirectory, if you have models Labtec Webcam Plus, Labtec notebook webcam, Labtec Webcam pro.

In your case choose the ..\WIM64 -directory, press ok, and it should find the driver. Voila.

And these instructions should work also for combinations: Windows 7 & Labtec WebCam(Elch 2), Lacamus, Labtec webcam plus, Labtec Webcam Plus, Labtec notebook webcam, Labtec Webcam pro

2. syed Muhammad Ali naqvi shah

Version: 10.5.1 build 1130b
    Posted: 03/27/2007

3. ReĆ½ Aetar

is there any cds in your cd drive or any mass memory attached ,or maybe there is unattended updates install all updates and if you are using a pirated version then try removing the crack and reinstalling it in safe mode

4. Alan Trinder

Hi all that helped, ensuring such things as my Bluetooth devices are off seems to be working so my thanks and I will now class this as resolved.

5. Ashwin Divakaran

maybe if you have configured windows to delete paging file at shutdown can cause it to hang .Use tuneup utilities to uncheck delete paging file

Try to scan your windows in safe mode with malwarebytes antimalware, superantispyware...then reboot normally and scan with CLeaner

go to dvice manager and look for a yellow sign if you find one just right click on it and choose uninstall and reboot.

if does not help do a clean boot to check which service or process is causing this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

you can check Windows Event Viewer to see what is causing the hangs
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/use-windows-7-event-viewer-to-track-down-issues-that-cause-slower-boot-times/3253

7. Rishabh Sharma

Close all other programmes ,they must be using a lot of memory

Check whether this issue also persists in safe mode.If it does persists,then it's software related problem like drivers that needs to be updated and hotfixes that needs to be applied.

Try the methods mentioned in the link below -

http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/windows-is-shutting-down-hang/

If it doesn't works then try extensive methods mentioned in the link below -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-hangs-during-shutdown/8c990dae-74fe-43d4-aa4b-40917deaae0b

9. Alan Trinder

Many thanks Suman, I will try making sure all Bluetooth connection are off as a first step then if that does not resolve it look at the hotfix.

10. Suman Acharya

maybe your bluetooth keyboard causing this. you would better shut down any networking application and devices before shutting down your system.
    or there maybe a lot of background programs running.