Why does Windows 7 hang when I use the search box on any browser?

Brian October 16, 2011

Often while using a browser, I start to enter a word in the search box and the computer hangs with a ‘Not Responding’ message. It happens on all browsers. Usually, the only way to recover is to reboot.

It's not even cache, browser gets overloaded with so many history records to search from.
    if you want to test what I am saying, then press ctrl +h
    and try to search from history.
    100%, it willl hang the browser, and after some time it will be normal and retirn the search result.
    It takes so much time because of the long history records.

so clear all the history.

I don't know of any browsers that index your cache for search results, so I doubt it's that. Try removing some extensions. If that doesn't help, I suggest you re-install your browser. 

• Mjevolve

hello Jeff ,
      well , increased amount of browser cache and browser history will eventually slow down the over all performance of the browser .
      launch times , site load times , browser referrer times , page processing time , everything .
      so the browser will act slow on a whole . freezing and jamming up ...  ;)

• Jeff Fabish

I've searched numerous support threads and all the responses are similar to yours, "clear your cache". Ironically, none of those responses solved the problem. As I stated previously, most browsers do not index your cache for results on a search.

When a process is "not responding", the worker threads are not being released, which has absolutely nothing to do with the cache. 

do a system restore to a point before your problem started

clear up the browsers history and cache .

use CCleaner and select every browser and all the options and let it clean the system .

restart and see if all is well ..

hopefully it should be ..

also make sure you are running the latest version of what ever browser you are using , 
    and also all the plug ins installed are up to date ..

tell if you need more help ....