Why does Windows 7 freeze when I type?

kicking saturday April 28, 2011

My Windows freezes when I type. Why?

Yes I have everything on software:
System Mechanic, Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit, full version, it’s not a upgrade.
I use Comcast, reason no spam.
Yes I use VPN and I do hide my IP from Google.
Yes I have all the updates. Thinking about recording my PC and put it to YouTube.

Why does Microsoft hang on when I type?

Yes I have checked for keyloggers and yes I do hide my mac address. Yes I have even tried MSN, that’s even worse. Yes I have checked everything on my PC. Yes all my drivers are installed in the right manner. Yes I have 2010 Word full version. I am not happy. Yes I upgraded to Windows 9 noway I get even more hangups and Windows Explorer says Windows Explorer not found. That’s bull. I checked my system. Yes I am active.

Why the crash, why the hangups, is msn over loaded? Yes iI have even upgraded my internet to 2 MB. So what’s going on?

This happens to me as well.  I know it's not hardware related, as I have an i7 980X @4.2GHz on air, 12GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 @1866MHz, GTX 480 SLI.  It happens in pretty much all the standard windows apps- so my desktop, Explorer (file browser), task manager, cmd, start menu, notepad.  It's super annoying.  It eventually won't freeze, after about 10 minutes of use, during which I'm typically surfing the web with Chrome or playing any of my many video games.  If anybody can tell me why this is happening, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anon,

did you try the Safe Mode route to see whether this is caused by software (e.g. a driver conflict) or hardware issues? Please report back. 

I also recommend that you ask a new question as this one is almost a month old and unlikely to receive fresh answers.

2. Makeuseof Aoi

Does this just happen when typing in the browser, IE? does it happen on one particular site, or across a varied amount? Try using chrome or firefox instead if IE, see if that helps.

Have you tried to track down the problem using the Performance tab of Task manager or better yet, Performance Monitor, to find out what your culprit is? When the computer freezes, is there thrashing going on with your hard drive? Depending on what background tasks you have going on, your could be seeing a ton of paging which is a common culprit for a system "freezing" that can be cured by adding RAM.

4. Sonny Bass

If you are sure that you have enough cpu and ram, are you sure they are not clocked too high to be stable. Either way you can stress test your hard ware or clock settings with prime95.I always test a new set up or overclocking for a minimum of 8 hrs for stability and heat issues.

So if you have already checked everything, how can we help you?

I think what you need to do is give is a better explanation of the actual problem.

1. You say Windows freezes when you type. Anywhere? In a specific program?

2. And then what happens? Does it eventually unfreeze or do you have to reboot?

3. For how long has this been going on and how did it start, i.e. out of the blue or did it get worse gradually?

It sounds like you either have too little CPU or RAM because too much software is running on your computer. Or you have a hardware problem, for example a faulty USB port or keyboard.

Did you try to boot into Safe Mode and does this still happen? If it's a software problem, it will likely be gone when you boot in Safe Mode. If it's a hardware problem, it should still happen. So unless someone else has a better idea, that's what you must try.

Of course I assume that you have already scanned for malware using Malwarebytes or Spybot Search&Destroy and of course you're using a firewall and an up to date antivirus program, don't you?