How can I make Windows 7 not extend past the borders of my television screen?

Reginald Bridges March 9, 2011

I recently traded my twenty-two inch monitor for a thirty inch television (LCD) and connected my computer and PS3 to it. Now my problem is, Windows 7 extends past the borders so far that I can’t see the start button and a portion of the start menu. Is there a way to to get Windows to shrink to actual viewing screen size?

1. Reglambri00

Thanks guys. Found the solution, I had to set my TV on PC and everything is as it should be. Thanks again.

thanks for update

Look into the LCD's menu and make sure Overscan is not active (some of the options should be Automatic, 16:9, Widescreen, ...). Usually it works best if it is set to the correct size e.g. 16:9.

On your computer go into the Menu where you change your resolution and (Control Panel > Display > Screen Resolution) click on Detect.
    Now click on Advanced settings in the lower right. Switch to the Monitor tab and and make sure the Screen refresh rate is supported by your Monitor. Sometimes detection of the supported rates is not accurate so double check with your LCDs specifications.

If you have either, NVIDIA ForceWare or AMD Catalyst Control Center installed also look into these settings and make sure they are accurate for your LCD.

Reginald,

did you try to change / decrease your screen resolution in Windows 7? Click the link for a walkthrough with screenshots from Microsoft.

Let us know whether it worked!

• Reglambri00

Yes, I did the adjust the resolution thing and it didn't change a thing. Windows recommended a resolution of 1920x1200 and I went down two steps but my taskbar and start menu were still extended past the screen border.

Reginald,

did you try Mike's suggestion below and were you able to fix the problem?