What can I do if a Windows 7 driver does not work properly and can’t be updated?

Rajat December 2, 2011

My non plug and play driver “regi” does not work properly and it does not show any update tab. What can I do? My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

1. Rajat

when i uninstalled it, after that i restart my laptop but it did not reinstall .

Hello, the non plug and play drivers only show when you select the view hidden files in device manager.  You are right, it doesn't provide a way to update them from properties.  What you could do is the following:

-- open device manager
    -- click on view
    -- mark view hidden devices
    -- navigate to entry you speak of
    -- right click and select properties
    -- click on driver tab
    -- click on driver details
    -- it should tell you the location of the driver and the program that installed it.

Now you have the choice of uninstalling the program to remove all entries.  Once all entries for program are removed, download and install the program back if possible.  That should reinstall the missing driver.  You could also uninstall the driver from the same area.  Problem with uninstalling the driver is, your program will not work anymore.  The advantage of uninstalling the driver is, windows 7 will reinstall it back after restart.

If you reinstall the program and same thing happens, make sure to run the executable for the program as an administrator.

go to device manager and right click on the driver and choose uninstal but do not check the box delete files... and reboot then let windows to instal a new one.

Or try to use the device under vista or xp compatibility