Why won’t Windows 7 detect my monitor?
Question by Jonnie Brown /

I just installed Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium. My monitor isn’t being recognized (it’s a Viewsonic VG2230WM. Windows 7 instead created a generic Non-PnP monitor in the device manager and a standard VGA graphics adapter.

The monitor has a native resolution of 1680×1050, but my graphics card was unable to handle that. I think it could do 1200×900. However, the generic non-PnP monitor is limited to only 1024×768! So clearly I’m losing out on some pixels.

I tried going to Viewsonic’s website to download drivers, but when I installed them an error said “Your monitor is not found. Please go to www.viewsonic.com and download the standard_monitor_driver_unsigned file.” which I can’t find anywhere on their website (or the internet).

• Jonnie Brown

Dear All

Thankyou massively for your help. The problem was the driver for the graphics card as opposed to the screen/monitor driver. Once I determined which graphics card it was I just had to go to the manufacturers website and download a windows 7 driver and it was all fixed. Thankyou all.

Personally I would start troubleshooting by the “Standard VGA graphics adapter”. This usually means that Windows is using the built in display driver for your graphics card thus limiting the use of higher resolutions and refresh rates.

Install the proper graphics driver for your card or on-board solution

After that all you should have to do is unplug the Viewsonic, turn it off and back on again and then reconnect it to your computer. It should then be recognized as PnP-Monitor and the maximum resolution be selectable.

hope the problem does not come from the monitor 
    Viewsonic VG2230WM

according microsoft the monitor is windows 7 compatible

you can try to run Driver Easy to detect and download drivers

Method 1: Run display quality troubleshooter
    It makes sure that your video card driver is compatible with Windows 7, and checks to see whether your color calibration, video effects, and display settings are correct.
    Method 2: Re-install display drivers completely and re-install the latest drivers.
    I know you’ve already updated the display drivers. I would ask you to completely uninstall the display drivers without leaving any traces of NVidia graphic components on your computer.  
    a.    Click on Start; in the start search type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    b.    Expand display adapter.
    c.    Right click on the Nvidia component and choose to Uninstall.
    Download the latest drivers for your display card from the computer manufacturer website and install it.