Why does my Windows 7 computer wake itself up from sleep mode?
Question by martin1223 /

My Inspiron 580 desktop computer awakes out of the sleep mode without me prompting it. I have software that reminds me of appointments. I want the computer to stay in sleep mode until that software wakes it up to announce an appointment of mine or to wake me up to my favorite music. When I first set up the computer, it worked fine, but after many downloads and changes some software is waking the computer up after a few seconds to a minute.

I went to Windows and Microsoft forums and tried several suggestions and none worked:

http://www.cravingtech.com/fix-windows-vista7-sleep-mode-from-waking-up-by-itself.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/system-will-not-stay-in-sleep-mode-please-help/14452b21-ecb2-4533-a04c-e26669a78e89

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/windows-7-will-not-sleep/

http://www.weston-fl.com/blog/?p=663/

I finally decided to do a complete reinstall of Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium version due to other issues. I discovered that the compute awoke when I prompted it by my commands and not by itself. However, when I installed the necessary Windows updates, it woke itself up. Do you have a resolution to this annoying problem?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CINDY-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 580
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz, 3067 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 7/6/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “6.1.7601.17514”
User Name Cindy-PC\Martin
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.58 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.61 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.99 GB
Page File Space 3.80 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

• Nick

Look into Wake on Pattern Match, I was having the same problem turning it off worked wonders.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463242.aspx#EJC

• martin1223

Let me try again! My goal is to put my computer in sleep mode and ideally have a third party software or at least the task scheduler to wake it up. I wanted to use the PC to wake me up to music and schedule it to wake up
    for other tasks. It has been since last October that I posted my problem. I
    have tried everything suggested and nothing seems to work. I just shut it off at night and put it on in the morning. This is what I tried:

I have been able to keep the computer in sleep mode through the network card’s power management settings by un-checking the wake up box, but
    the computer stays in the sleep mode. I tried checking the “magic packet only box” but that did not work. I tried a clean boot and could not find the program or service that wakes it. I switched the BIOS setting from S3 to S1 and that did not work. I used “cmd” prompt and “powercfg –devicequery wake_armed” to tell me what devices were waking it after I put it in sleep mode and it woke up. The first result was my HID mouse and keyboard so I unchecked both “to wake the computer” setting and again, it did not work. I checked the task scheduler and that had nothing scheduled. I tried uninstalling my third-party scheduler software “Say the Time” and the computer still awoke out of the sleep mode.  As I said awhile back, I had to uninstall my OS and reinstall it. I took the opportunity to see if the PC stayed in sleep mode before I loaded any software including window updates and it did, but when I installed the updates without any software, documents, and multimedia it came out of sleep mode in a few seconds even after a clean install of my OS.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Payton_vege

Amazing write-up! This could aid plenty of people find out more about this particular issue. Are you keen to integrate video clips coupled with these? It would absolutely help out. Your conclusion was spot on and thanks to you; I probably won’t have to describe everything to my pals. I can simply direct them here!

thanks for the input

Controlling which devices will wake the computer out of sleep
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/02/13/7658352.aspx

Type cmd on the Run/Search box and press ENTER to get the command prompt, then type this:powercfg – lastwake_armed (then press ENTER)

Then follow the steps described on top of this page to find the device waking your computer and uncheck “Allow this device to wake the computer”.

• Jacob

Check your network card properties through the device manager and disable the “Allow this device to wake the computer” feature.

Right click on your “My Computer” then select Properties.Click Device Manager on the left side of the Properties window.Check your Network card on the Network Adapters (Click on the + sign to expand).Right click on your network card and select properties.Go to the Power Management tab and untick the option there to prevent your network card from ever waking up your Windows.

• John Pombrio

The proper command is powercfg -lastwake (as I just ran it). Turns out that mine was waking due to the network not being completely prevented from waking the computer. Control Panel Device Manager, right click on network adapter and select Power Management and turn off ANYTHING that can wake the computer.

• Mjevolve

hello Martin , 
    this is Guest
    guest name is Mjevolve .
    ( dont know  how the name changed to guest …! )

well , 
    can you try this and see and report please . —

open CMD , ( Start key + R key and type CMD and hit Enter . 

in the CMD window , type this , 

powercfg – lastwake 

and hit enter .

this would tell you  —  
    what event/device woke up your Windows from its sleep state
     !!

it will work ..

try and let me know .  :)  .

When you delete a comment from your dashboard, it will be guest, but it does not decrease the comment count, it stays the same, so may be something strange happened with your disqus account.

• Mjevolve

yes might be.
      i was not getting the email alerts for replies on my comments and new replies to the question .
      so i deleted the account and decided to open a new one .
      and i guess thats why it returned to guest .

but then even before my account on disqus , comments were being posted Mjevolve and not as guest .

dont know ..

i find disqus buggy ..

many a times , i just check a previous question i have answered , and see new comments to it , but i did not get any email alerts for it ..!

when a comment or account is deleted then only it is named as guest, because it loses  the original name,
      when you comment, without a disqus account, you write your name, and it will posted from your written name.
      those comments before you created the account were not linked to your account, that’s why they display your name.
      and comments from te deleted account display as guest.

@ee371d527083205b323c469dc7490201:disqus  did you try hibernation instead of sleep mode? may be result will be the same, still u can try.

Uninstall the software,
    If you uninstall and still the problem stays, then the software is not the reason.
    if the software is the reason and pc stop waking up,
    then reinstall and see if re-installation changed anything.
    If it does not,
    then
    create scheduled tasks which can announce your appointments with your favorite music.
    you can do it by an audio player and notepad with scheduled task.

• Martin1223

As I said, I re-installed the OS recently so I would not have
    a restore point to go back if I knew but before I did that I did a clean boot
    and could not find the program that interfered with the sleep mode. In
    addition, I think it has something to do with the necessary Widows Updates that
    I installed after I re-installed the OS. I would not want to delete an
    important update and I had over 90 updates installed at once. The computer goes
    out of sleep mode within a few seconds to a minute. It’s very aggravating.

@ee371d527083205b323c469dc7490201:disqus  you can remove windows updated from control panel > add and remove program >> check show update >> find and remove update. (works in xp)

if you know the time when your pc was working fine, then you can try restring to a restore point, created during that time.

What @50ab52dff88ff8e87a1b3fdcf3a8e108:disqus  is saying is correct,
    If you have not setup the software by yourself, then there may be a scheduled task set up by a software,
    so you will have to also find which software is it, and change its options so it will not set a task again, or uninstall the software, if the problem continues.